Given two string variables a and b, swap these variables without using temporary or third variable in Java. Use of library methods is allowed.
Input: a = "Hello" b = "World" Output: Strings before swap: a = Hello and b = World Strings after swap: a = World and b = Hello
The idea is to string concatenation and substring() method to perform this operation. The substring() method comes in two forms as listed below:
- substring(int beginindex): This fuction will return substring of the calling string starting from the index passed as argument to this function till the last character in the calling string.
- substring(int beginindex,int endindex): This function will return Substring of the calling string starting from the beginindex(inclusive) and ending at the endindex(exclusive) passed as argument to this function.
1) Append second string to first string and store in first string: a = a + b 2) call the method substring(int beginindex, int endindex) by passing beginindex as 0 and endindex as, a.length() - b.length(): b = substring(0,a.length()-b.length()); 3) call the method substring(int beginindex) by passing b.length() as argument to store the value of initial b string in a a = substring(b.length());
Strings before swap: a = Hello and b = World Strings after swap: a = World and b = Hello
This article is contributed by Harsh Agarwal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- User-defined Custom Exception in Java
- Using TreeMap to sort User-defined Objects in Java
- Using _ (underscore) as variable name in Java
- Final static variable in Java
- Instance variable as final in Java
- Instance Variable Hiding in Java
- Variable Arguments (Varargs) in Java
- What is the difference between field, variable, attribute, and property in Java
- Initialization of local variable in a conditional block in Java
- Local Variable Type Inference or LVTI in Java 10
- How to swap or exchange objects in Java?
- Difference Between Daemon Threads and User Threads In Java
- Collections swap() method in Java with Examples
- Swap two variables in one line in C/C++, Python, PHP and Java
- Java program to swap first and last characters of words in a sentence