Given a number x and two positions (from right side) in binary representation of x, write a function that swaps n bits at given two positions and returns the result. It is also given that the two sets of bits do not overlap.
Let p1 and p2 be the two given positions.
x = 47 (00101111)
p1 = 1 (Start from second bit from right side)
p2 = 5 (Start from 6th bit from right side)
n = 3 (No of bits to be swapped)
The 3 bits starting from the second bit (from right side) are
swapped with 3 bits starting from 6th position (from right side)
x = 28 (11100)
p1 = 0 (Start from first bit from right side)
p2 = 3 (Start from 4th bit from right side)
n = 2 (No of bits to be swapped)
The 2 bits starting from 0th postion (from right side) are
swapped with 2 bits starting from 4th position (from right side)
We need to swap two sets of bits. XOR can be used in a similar way as it is used to swap 2 numbers. Following is the algorithm.
1) Move all bits of first set to rightmost side set1 = (x >> p1) & ((1U << n) - 1) Here the expression (1U << n) - 1 gives a number that contains last n bits set and other bits as 0. We do & with this expression so that bits other than the last n bits become 0. 2) Move all bits of second set to rightmost side set2 = (x >> p2) & ((1U << n) - 1) 3) XOR the two sets of bits xor = (set1 ^ set2) 4) Put the xor bits back to their original positions. xor = (xor << p1) | (xor << p2) 5) Finally, XOR the xor with original number so that the two sets are swapped. result = x ^ xor
Result = 7
Following is a shorter implementation of the same logic
Swapping individual bits with XOR
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find the maximum subset XOR of a given set
- How to swap two bits in a given integer?
- Bitwise Operators in C/C++
- Swap all odd and even bits
- Find the element that appears once
- Detect if two integers have opposite signs
- Count total set bits in all numbers from 1 to n
- Add two numbers without using arithmetic operators
- Smallest of three integers without comparison operators
- A Boolean Array Puzzle
- Find the two non-repeating elements in an array of repeating elements
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B
- Count set bits in an integer
- Write an Efficient C Program to Reverse Bits of a Number
- Little and Big Endian Mystery
Improved By : vt_m