Given an array of n integers, find the sum of f(a[i], a[j]) of all pairs (i, j) such that (1 <= i < j <= n).
If |a[j]-a[i]| > 1 f(a[i], a[j]) = a[j] - a[i] Else // if |a[j]-a[i]| <= 1 f(a[i], a[j]) = 0
Input : 6 6 4 4 Output : -8 Explanation: All pairs are: (6 - 6) + (6 - 6) + (6 - 6) + (4 - 6) + (4 - 6) + (4 - 6) + (4 - 6) + (4 - 4) + (4 - 4) = -8 Input: 1 2 3 1 3 Output: 4 Explanation: the pairs that add up are: (3, 1), (3, 1) to give 4, rest all pairs according to condition gives 0.
A naive approach is to iterate through all pairs and calculate f(a[i], a[j]) and summing it while traversing in two nested loops will give us our answer.
Time Complexity: O(n^2)
A efficient approach will be to use a map/hash function to keep a count of every occurring numbers and then traverse through the list. While traversing through the list, we multiply the count of numbers that are before it and the number itself. Then subtract this result with the pre-sum of the number before that number to get the sum of difference of all pairs possible with that number. To remove all pairs whose absolute difference is <=1, simply subtract the count of occurrence of (number-1) and (number+1) from the previously computed sum. Here we subtract count of (number-1) from the computed sum as it had been previously added to the sum, and we add (number+1) count since the negative has been added to the pre-computed sum of all pairs.
Time Complexity : O(n)
Below is the implementation of the above approach :
- Minimum product of k integers in an array of positive Integers
- Given an array of pairs, find all symmetric pairs in it
- Find pairs in array whose sums already exist in array
- Converting an array of integers into Zig-Zag fashion!
- Find the first repeating element in an array of integers
- Longest sequence of positive integers in an array
- Maximum number of Unique integers in Sub-Array of given size
- Minimum product pair an array of positive Integers
- Check if array contains contiguous integers with duplicates allowed
- Find a pair with maximum product in array of Integers
- Noble integers in an array (count of greater elements is equal to value)
- Sum of XOR of sum of all pairs in an array
- Sum of XOR of all pairs in an array
- Find the missing element in an array of integers represented in binary format
- Sum of Bitwise And of all pairs in a given array
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.