The strlen() function in C calculates the length of a given string. The strlen() function is defined in string.h header file. It doesn’t count the null character ‘\0’.
Syntax of C strlen()
The syntax of strlen() function in C is as follows:
size_t strlen(const char* str);
The strlen() function only takes a single parameter.
- str: It represents the string variable whose length we have to find.
- This function returns the integral length of the string passed.
C strlen() Function
Example of C strlen()
The below programs illustrate the strlen() function in C:
"Length of string is : %d"
Length of string is : 13
Important Points about strlen()
The following points should be kept in mind while using strlen():
- strlen() does not count the NULL character ‘\0’.
- The time complexity of strlen() is O(n), where n is the number of characters in the string.
- Its return type is size_t ( which is generally unsigned int ).
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!