IntelliJ is an integrated development environment(IDE) written in Java. It is used for developing computer software. This IDE is developed by Jetbrains and is available as an Apache 2 Licensed community edition and a commercial edition. In this article, we will see how to install IntelliJ Idea for the different operating systems.
Installation on Mac: The following steps can be followed to install the IntelliJ on a MAC Operating system:
- Navigate to this link to get the IntelliJ software.
- Click on Download option.
- In the next screen, select the platform as Mac and select the edition which you want to download.
- Save the downloaded file in the desired location.
- Open the downloaded file. A message pops up on the screen which says verifying and opening. After this screen pops up, drag and drop the IntelliJ to the Applications folder.
- After dragging and dropping it into the applications folder, the following screen is obtained:
- After the copying process is done, click on the applications folder in the side panel and open IntelliJ.
- A welcome screen now pops up:
- We can add IntelliJ to Mac’s dock by:
Installation on Linux: Similar to the above steps, select Linux on the download page. The name of the downloaded bundle was ideaIC-2017.2.5.tar.gz at the time when this article is published. After downloading:
- Extract it by using the following command:
$ tar xvf ideaIC-2017.2.5.tar.gz
- Now, it will create a new directory with idea-IC-172.4343.14 name. Now change the directory to idea-IC-172.4343.14/bin/ and execute idea.sh shell script as shown below:
$ cd idea-IC-172.4343.14/bin/
- Finally, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation and use IntelliJ.
Installation on Windows: Similar to the above steps, the windows installer can be downloaded from the download page by selecting the windows operating system and the required edition. After downloading, open the installer and follow the onscreen instructions to install it. After installation, a shortcut will be created on the desktop and the start menu to open the IDE.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Guide to Install and Set up Android Studio
- Step Wise Guide to start with Open Source
- Complete guide on How to build a Video Player in Android
- How to Learn Java Collections - A Complete Guide
- How to Install and Configure Elasticsearch on Ubuntu ?
- How to install Sublime Text 3 in Windows?
- How to install NumPy package in Julia?
- How to install Pandas package in Julia?
- How to Install UIPath Studio Community Edition for Robotics Process Automation?
- How to download and install Java for 64 bit machine
- How to Install and Run Apache Kafka on Windows?
- How to Install GNU Octave in Linux?
- How to Install Julia on MacOS?
- How to Install Magento2 on Windows?
- How to Install TeamViewer on Linux/Ubuntu?
- How to install Android Applications in Mobile Phone without USB Cables using Android Studio
- How to Install CMake for Windows in Python?
- Simplified International Data Encryption Algorithm (IDEA)
- Count ways to reach the Nth stair using multiple 1 or 2 steps and a single step 3
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.