The difference of two sets is formed by the elements that are present in the first set, but not in the second one. The elements copied by the function come always from the first range, in the same order.
The elements in the both the ranges shall already be ordered.
1. Comparing elements using “<":
Template : OutputIterator set_difference (InputIterator1 first1, InputIterator1 last1, InputIterator2 first2, InputIterator2 last2, OutputIterator result); Parameters : first1, last1 Input iterators to the initial and final positions of the first sorted sequence. The range used is [first1, last1), which contains all the elements between first1 and last1, including the element pointed by first1 but not the element pointed by last1. first2, last2 Input iterators to the initial and final positions of the second sorted sequence. The range used is [first2, last2). result Output iterator to the initial position of the range where the resulting sequence is stored. The pointed type shall support being assigned the value of an element from the first range. Return Type : An iterator to the end of the constructed range.
First array : 5 10 15 20 25 Second array : 10 20 30 40 50 Using default comparison, The difference has 3 elements : 5 15 25
2. By comparing using a pre-defined function:
Template : OutputIterator set_difference (InputIterator1 first1, InputIterator1 last1, InputIterator2 first2, InputIterator2 last2, OutputIterator result, Compare comp); Parameters : first1, last1, first2, last2, result are same as above. comp Binary function that accepts two arguments of the types pointed by the input iterators, and returns a value convertible to bool. The function shall not modify any of its arguments. This can either be a function pointer or a function object. Return Type : An iterator to the end of the constructed range.
First array : 10 20 30 40 50 Second array : 5 10 15 20 25 Using custom comparison : The difference has 3 elements : 30 40 50
Possible Application : It is used to find the elements that are present only in first list and not in the second list.
1. It can be used to find the list of students that are attending only first classes.
Students in first class : Sachin Rakesh Sandeep Serena Students in second class : Vaibhav Sandeep Rakesh Neha Students attending first classe only are : Sachin Serena
2. It can also be use to find the elements that are not present in first list only.
Program is given above.
This article is contributed by Sachin Bisht. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Find the Deepest Node in a Binary Tree Using Queue STL - SET 2
- C++ program to compare two Strings using Operator Overloading
- not1 and not2 function templates in C++ STL with Examples
- Go vs C++
- Trie Data Structure using smart pointer and OOP in C++
- Modular Exponentiation of Complex Numbers
- std::hash class in C++ STL
- History of C++
- What are Forward declarations in C++
- __builtin_inf() functions of GCC compiler
- Structures in C++
- Variables in C++
- Implementing Forward Iterator in BST
- Count substrings that contain all vowels | SET 2
- Machine Learning in C++