The standard normal distribution is a special case of the normal distribution. It occurs when a normal random variable has a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1. The normal random variable of a standard normal distribution is called a standard score or a z score.
A conversion from Normally distributed to Standard Normally distributed value occurs via the formula,
Z = (X - u) / s where: Z = value on the standard normal distribution X = value on the original distribution u = mean of the original distribution s = standard deviation of the original distribution
the Z-value obtained is: -2.4
Generating a Random Standard Normal Function – Using nextGaussian() in Java :
The nextGaussian() method is used to get the next random, Normally distributed double value with mean 0.0 and standard deviation 1.0.
Declaration : public double nextGaussian() Parameters : NA Return Value : The method call returns the random, Normally distributed double value with mean 0.0 and standard deviation 1.0. Exception : NA
The following example shows the usage of java.util.Random.nextGaussian():
The next Gaussian value generated is : -0.24283691098606316
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program to find Normal and Trace of a matrix
- Program to implement standard error of mean
- Program to implement standard deviation of grouped data
- Find normal at a given point on the curve
- Length of the normal from origin on a straight line whose intercepts are given
- Game Theory (Normal form game) | Set 2 (Game with Pure Strategy)
- Game Theory (Normal-form game) | Set 3 (Game with Mixed Strategy)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 4 (Dominance Property-Pure Strategy)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 5 (Dominance Property-Mixed Strategy)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 6 (Graphical Method [2 X N] Game)
- Game Theory (Normal-form Game) | Set 7 (Graphical Method [M X 2] Game)
- Set in C++ Standard Template Library (STL)
- Mathematics | Mean, Variance and Standard Deviation
- Given N and Standard Deviation, find N elements
- Variance and standard-deviation of a matrix
- Calculate the IST : Indian Standard Time
- Random number generator in arbitrary probability distribution fashion
- Minimum and maximum number of N chocolates after distribution among K students
- Cake Distribution Problem
- Distribution of a Number in Array within a Range
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.