SQL | Aliases
Aliases are the temporary names given to table or column for the purpose of a particular SQL query. It is used when name of column or table is used other than their original names, but the modified name is only temporary.
- Aliases are created to make table or column names more readable.
- The renaming is just a temporary change and table name does not change in the original database.
- Aliases are useful when table or column names are big or not very readable.
- These are preferred when there are more than one table involved in a query.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Learn SQL for interviews using SQL Course by GeeksforGeeks.
- For column alias:
SELECT column as alias_name FROM table_name; column: fields in the table alias_name: temporary alias name to be used in replacement of original column name table_name: name of table
- For table alias:
SELECT column FROM table_name as alias_name; column: fields in the table table_name: name of table alias_name: temporary alias name to be used in replacement of original table name
Queries for illustrating column alias
- To fetch ROLL_NO from Student table using CODE as alias name.
SELECT ROLL_NO AS CODE FROM Student;
CODE 1 2 3 4
- To fetch Branch using Stream as alias name and Grade as CGPA from table Student_Details.
SELECT Branch AS Stream,Grade as CGPA FROM Student_Details;
Stream CGPA Information Technology O Computer Science E Computer Science O Mechanical Engineering A
Queries for illustrating table alias
- To fetch Grade and NAME of Student with Age = 20.
SELECT s.NAME, d.Grade FROM Student AS s, Student_Details AS d WHERE s.Age=20 AND s.ROLL_NO=d.ROLL_NO;
NAME Grade SUJIT O
This article is contributed by Pratik Agarwal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.