In this article, we will learn how to sort the visualization by field in tableau worksheet to do further operations.
Tableau – a brief note
Tableau is a very powerful data visualization tool that can be used by data analysts, scientists, statisticians, etc. to visualize the data and get a clear opinion based on the data analysis. Tableau is very famous as it can take in data and produce the required data visualization output in a very short time.
Sorting visualizations in tableau
Visualization or visualization (see spelling differences) is any technique for creating images, diagrams, or animations to communicate a message. Visualization through visual imagery has been an effective way to communicate both abstract and concrete ideas since the dawn of humanity. Sorting is any process of arranging items systematically and has two common, yet distinct meanings:
- Ordering: arranging items in a sequence ordered by some criterion
- Categorizing: grouping items with similar properties.
There are different ways to perform sorting in Tableau, this article covers how to sort the visualizations od data by field.
Dataset used in the examples is given here.
Sorting by field
For this we have to follow some steps :
- Open the Tableau tool and connect a dataset into it.
- Drag and drop the one sheet of the connected dataset.
- Click on sheet1 to open the tableau worksheet.
- On clicking Sheet1 you will get whole dataset attributes on the left side and a worksheet for work.
- Draw a graph to visualize the data and then apply the sorting technique.
Here, the visualization part is sorted according to the field and aggregation function on that
Field in which two orders are given :
- Ascending Order : The data is arranged according to the value of the aggregated function on field
in increasing order.
- Descending Order : The data is arranged according to the value of the aggregated function on field
in decreasing order.
Example 1 :
Example 2 :
For this example, in Columns, add the fields Market followed by Measure Names. Then in rows add Measure Values. You will get a screen as given below.
Note the ones marked as 1 and 2.
- Drag and Drop “Measure Names” in the place indicated by ‘1’ and choose “colors” by clicking the dots near it.
- In the Measure value keep only SUM(Discount), SUM(Profit), SUM(Shipping Cost) alone and remove the rest by dragging them out.
Now the desired visualization has arrived.
- Normal view :
- Ascending View :
- Descending View :
Change the Aggregation function, to arrive at different visualizations.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.