The subSet() method of SortedSet interface in Java is used to return a view of the portion of this set whose elements range from fromElement, inclusive, to toElement, exclusive.
- The set returned by this method is backed by this set, so changes in the returned set are reflected in this set, and vice-versa.
- The set returned by this method supports all optional set operations that this set supports.
Note: The set returned by this method will throw an IllegalArgumentException if an attempt is made to insert an element outside its range.
SortedSet subSet(E fromElement, E toElement)
Where, E is the type of element maintained by this Set.
Parameters: This function accepts two parameters fromElement and toElement which represent the low endpoint (inclusive) and high endpoint (exclusive) of the returned set.
Return Value: It returns the elements which in range between fromElement and toElement passed as argument.
- ClassCastException : It throws a ClassCastException if fromElement is not compatible with this set’s comparator (or, if the set has no comparator, if fromElement does not implement Comparable).
- NullPointerException : It throws a NullPointerException if the parameter fromElement is null.
- IllegalArgumentException : It throws an IllegalArgumentException this set itself has a restricted range, and the parameter fromElement lies outside the bounds of the range.
Below programs illustrate the above method:
Elements range between 2 and 9 in set are : [2, 3, 5]
Elements between C and G in set is : [Code, For]
- SortedSet first() method in Java
- SortedSet last() method in Java
- SortedSet tailSet() method in Java
- SortedSet headSet() method in Java
- NavigableSet subSet() method in Java
- ConcurrentSkipListSet subSet() method in Java
- TreeSet subSet() Method in Java
- ConcurrentSkipListSet subSet() method in Java with Examples
- SortedSet Interface in Java with Examples
- Java.lang.Character.Subset Class in Java
- Method Class | equals() Method in Java
- Method Class | toGenericString() method in Java
- Method Class | getGenericParameterTypes() method in Java
- Method Class | hashCode() Method in Java
- Method Class | getGenericExceptionTypes() Method in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.