Given two strings (of lowercase letters), a pattern and a string. The task is to sort string according to the order defined by pattern. It may be assumed that pattern has all characters of the string and all characters in pattern appear only once.
Input : pat = "bca", str = "abc" Output : str = "bca" Input : pat = "bxyzca", str = "abcabcabc" Output : str = "bbbcccaaa" Input : pat = "wcyuogmlrdfphitxjakqvzbnes", str = "jcdokai" Output : str = "codijak"
The idea is to first count occurrences of all characters in str and store these counts in a count array. Then traverse pattern from left to right, and for each character pat[i], see how many times it appears in count array and copy this character these many times to str.
Below is the implementation of above idea.
Time complexity : O(m + n) where m is length of pattern and n is length of str.
Exercise : In the above solution, it is assumed that pattern has all characters of str. Consider a modified version where pattern may not have all characters and the task is to put all remaining characters (in string but not in pattern) at the end. The remaining characters need to be put in alphabetically sorted order.
Hint : In the second loop, when increase index and put character in str, we can also decrease count at that time. And finally we traverse the count array to put remaining characters in alphabetically sorted order.
This article is contributed by Sanjay Khadda. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Check if string follows order of characters defined by a pattern or not | Set 3
- Check if string follows order of characters defined by a pattern or not | Set 2
- Check if string follows order of characters defined by a pattern or not | Set 1
- Program to sort string in descending order
- Rearrange a string in sorted order followed by the integer sum
- Find a string in lexicographic order which is in between given two strings
- Print words of a string in reverse order
- Check if the characters of a given string are in alphabetical order
- Print a number as string of 'A' and 'B' in lexicographic order
- Check whether the vowels in a string are in alphabetical order or not
- Sort string of characters
- Python | Check order of character in string using OrderedDict( )
- Print all distinct characters of a string in order (3 Methods)
- Generating distinct subsequences of a given string in lexicographic order
- Print all the palindromic permutations of given string in alphabetic order