Software Measurement: A measurement is an manifestation of the size, quantity, amount or dimension of a particular attributes of a product or process. Software measurement is a titrate impute of a characteristic of a software product or the software process. It is an authority within software engineering. Software measurement process is defined and governed by ISO Standard.
Need of Software Measurement:
Software is measured to:
- Create the quality of the current product or process.
- Anticipate future qualities of the product or process.
- Enhance the quality of a product or process.
- Regulate the state of the project in relation to budget and schedule.
Classification of Software Measurement:
There are 2 types of software measurement:
- Direct Measurement:
In direct measurement the product, process or thing is measured directly using standard scale.
- Indirect Measurement:
In indirect measurement the quantity or quality to be measured is measured using related parameter i.e. by use of reference.
A metrics is a measurement of the level that any impute belongs to a system product or process. There are 4 functions related to software metrics:
Characteristics of software Metrics:
Metrics must possess quantitative nature.It means metrics can be expressed in values.
Metric computation should be easily understood ,the method of computing metric should be clearly defined.
Metrics should be applicable in the initial phases of development of the software.
The metric values should be same when measured repeatedly and consistent in nature.
Computation of metric should be economical.
- Language Independent:
Metrics should not depend on any programming language.
Classification of Software Metrics:
There are 2 types of software metrics:
- Product Metrics:
Product metrics are used to evaluate the state of the product, tracing risks and undercovering prospective problem areas. The ability of team to control quality is evaluated.
- Process Metrics:
Process metrics pay particular attention on enhancing the long term process of the team or organisation.
- Project Metrics:
Project matrix is describes the project characteristic and execution process.
- Number of software developer
- Staffing pattern over the life cycle of software
- Cost and schedule
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Software Engineering | Halstead’s Software Metrics
- Software Engineering | Identifying Software Development Metrics
- Product Metrics in Software Engineering
- Measuring Software Quality using Quality Metrics
- Inspection Metrics in Software Engineering
- Extended Function Point (EFP) Metrics
- Short Note on Function-Oriented Metrics
- Short Note on Size-Oriented Metrics
- Metrics for the Design Model of the Product
- Core Metrics to Manage Modern Process
- Software Engineering | Role and Responsibilities of a software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Software Business and Development
- Difference between Packaged Software and Custom Software
- Difference between Generic Software Development and Custom Software Development
- Difference between Free Software and Open Source Software
- Software Freedom in FOSS (Free and open-source software)
- Software Maintenance and Various Software Maintenance Tables
- Difference between Software Inspection and Software Testing
- Difference between Open source Software and Commercial Software
- Difference between Open source Software and Proprietary Software
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.