Free Software or Libre (Libre is the most common Spanish adjective for “free”) software are the softwares that allows user to do to any kind of work he/she wants as well as he can modify, add new features and he has freedom to distribute the changed version also. A software is said to be free if it gives user ultimate freedom to do things the way he wants.
The term “free software” is sometimes misunderstood—it has nothing to do with price. It is about freedom. Here, therefore, is the definition of free software: a program is free software, for you, a particular user, if:
You have the freedom to execute the program, the way you want and to serve any kind of purpose.
You have the freedom to study how the program works and you are free to modify the program to suit your needs
You have the freedom to redistribute copies, either gratis or for a fee. So that you can help others and also you can earn profit too.
You have the freedom to distribute modified versions of the program, so that the community can benefit from your improvements.
The Free Software Directory maintains a large database of free-software packages. Some of the best-known examples include the Linux kernel, the BSD and Linux operating systems, the GNU Compiler Collection and C library; the MySQL relational database; the Apache web server; and the Sendmail mail transport agent.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Copyright and Copyleft in FOSS
- Difference between Free Software and Open Source Software
- Top 10 Free Resources For App And Website Themes
- Top 5 Free and Open-Source Version Control Tools in 2020
- Top 5 Free, Cross-Platform, and Open-Source Database System in 2020
- Top 5 Open Source Source and Free Static Code Analysis Tools in 2020
- Using GitHub to host a free static website
- Should You Connect Your Devices to Free Wi-Fi?
- Top 7 Free Keyword Research Tools in 2020
- 7 Best Sites For Free Web Hosting
- Top 8 Free Dataset Sources to Use for Data Science Projects
- Learn Java on Your Own in 20 Days - Free!
- How to Publish Your Android App on Amazon App Store for Free?
- Top 5 Free Online IDE, Compilers in 2020
- Software Engineering | Role and Responsibilities of a software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Software Business and Development
- Difference between Packaged Software and Custom Software
- Is There Any Difference Between Software Developer And Software Engineer?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.