Free Software or Libre (Libre is the most common Spanish adjective for “free”) software are the softwares that allows user to do to any kind of work he/she wants as well as he can modify, add new features and he has freedom to distribute the changed version also. A software is said to be free if it gives user ultimate freedom to do things the way he wants.
The term “free software” is sometimes misunderstood—it has nothing to do with price. It is about freedom. Here, therefore, is the definition of free software: a program is free software, for you, a particular user, if:
You have the freedom to execute the program, the way you want and to serve any kind of purpose.
You have the freedom to study how the program works and you are free to modify the program to suit your needs
You have the freedom to redistribute copies, either gratis or for a fee. So that you can help others and also you can earn profit too.
You have the freedom to distribute modified versions of the program, so that the community can benefit from your improvements.
The Free Software Directory maintains a large database of free-software packages. Some of the best-known examples include the Linux kernel, the BSD and Linux operating systems, the GNU Compiler Collection and C library; the MySQL relational database; the Apache web server; and the Sendmail mail transport agent.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Free Software and Open Source Software
- Difference between Copyright and Copyleft in FOSS
- Software Engineering | Software Project Management Plan (SPMP)
- Software Engineering | Role and Responsibilities of a software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Schick-Wolverton software reliability model
- Software Engineering | Jelinski Moranda software reliability model
- Software Engineering | Software Project Management Complexities
- Software Engineering | Identifying Software Development Metrics
- Software Engineering | Responsibilities of Software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Halstead’s Software Metrics
- Software Engineering | Changing Nature of Software
- Software Engineering | Software Process Framework
- Software Engineering | Software Quality Framework
- Software Engineering | Classification of Software Requirements
- Software Engineering | Software Project Management (SPM)
- Software Engineering | Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Set 2
- Is There Any Difference Between Software Developer And Software Engineer?
- Software Engineering | Software Quality Assurance
- Difference between Packaged Software and Custom Software
- Software Engineering | Seven Principles of software testing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.