Software Review is systematic inspection of a software by one or more individuals who work together to find and resolve errors and defects in the software during the early stages of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). Software review is an essential part of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) that helps software engineers in validating the quality, functionality and other vital features and components of the software. It is a whole process that includes testing the software product and it makes sure that it meets the requirements stated by the client.
Usually performed manually, software review is used to verify various documents like requirements, system designs, codes, test plans and test cases.
Objectives of Software Review:
The objective of software review is:
- To improve the productivity of the development team.
- To make the testing process time and cost effective.
- To make the final software with fewer defects.
- To eliminate the inadequacies.
Process of Software Review:
Types of Software Reviews:
There are mainly 3 types of software reviews:
- Software Peer Review:
Peer review is the process of assessing the technical content and quality of the product and it is usually conducted by the author of the work product along with some other developers.
Peer review is performed in order to examine or resolve the defects in the software, whose quality is also checked by other members of the team.
Peer Review has following types:
- (i) Code Review:
Computer source code is examined in a systematic way.
- (ii) Pair Programming:
It is a code review where two developers develop code together at the same platform.
- (iii) Walkthrough:
Members of the development team is guided bu author and other interested parties and the participants ask questions and make comments about defects.
- (iv) Technical Review:
A team of highly qualified individuals examines the software product for its client’s use and identifies technical defects from specifications and standards.
- (v) Inspection:
In inspection the reviewers follow a well-defined process to find defects.
- (i) Code Review:
- Software Management Review:
Software Management Review evaluates the work status. In this section decisions regarding downstream activities are taken.
- Software Audit Review:
Software Audit Review is a type of external review in which one or more critics, who are not a part of the development team, organize an independent inspection of the software product and its processes to assess their compliance with stated specifications and standards. This is done by managerial level people.
Advantages of Software Review:
- Defects can be identified earlier stage of development (especially in formal review).
- Earlier inspection also reduces the maintenance cost of software.
- It can be used to train technical authors.
- It can be used to remove process inadequacies that encourage defects.
- Modern Principles Of Software Development
- Software Engineering | Project size estimation techniques
- Types of Software Testing
- Software Testing | Basics
- Software Engineering | Architectural Design
- Software Engineering | Halstead’s Software Metrics
- Beta Testing | Software Testing
- Software Engineering | Debugging Approaches
- Pairwise Software Testing
- Software Engineering | COCOMO Model
- Software Engineering | Classification of Software Requirements
- Software Engineering | Classical Waterfall Model
- Software Engineering | Iterative Waterfall Model
- Software Engineering | Spiral Model
- Software Engineering | Requirements Engineering Process
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.