Debugging is the process of finding and resolving defects or problems within a computer program that prevent correct operation of computer software or a system.
Need for debugging:
Once errors are known during a program code, it’s necessary to initial establish the precise program statements liable for the errors and so to repair them.
The following are a number of approaches popularly adopted by programmers for debugging.
- Brute Force Method:
This is the foremost common technique of debugging however is that the least economical method. during this approach, the program is loaded with print statements to print the intermediate values with the hope that a number of the written values can facilitate to spot the statement in error. This approach becomes a lot of systematic with the utilisation of a symbolic program (also known as a source code debugger), as a result of values of various variables will be simply checked and breakpoints and watch-points can be easily set to check the values of variables effortlessly.
This is additionally a reasonably common approach. during this approach, starting from the statement at which an error symptom has been discovered, the source code is derived backward till the error is discovered. sadly, because the variety of supply lines to be derived back will increase, the quantity of potential backward methods will increase and should become unimaginably large so limiting the utilisation of this approach.
- Cause Elimination Method:
In this approach, a listing of causes that may presumably have contributed to the error symptom is developed and tests are conducted to eliminate every error. A connected technique of identification of the error from the error symptom is that the package fault tree analysis.
- Program Slicing:
This technique is analogous to backtracking. Here the search house is reduced by process slices. A slice of a program for a specific variable at a particular statement is that the set of supply lines preceding this statement which will influence the worth of that variable
Debugging is commonly administrated by programmers supported their ingenuity. The subsequent are some general tips for effective debugging:
- Many times debugging needs an intensive understanding of the program style. making an attempt to rectify supported a partial understanding of the system style and implementation might need an excessive quantity of effort to be placed into debugging even straightforward issues.
- Debugging might generally even need a full plan of the system. In such cases, a typical mistake that novice programmers usually create is trying to not fix the error however its symptoms.
- One should be watched out for the likelihood that a slip correction might introduce new errors. so when each spherical of error-fixing, regression testing should be administrated.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Software Engineering | Debugging
- Activity Identification approaches in Software Engineering
- Software Engineering | Introduction to Software Engineering
- Prototyping Approaches in Software Process
- Differences between Testing and Debugging
- Software Engineering | Requirements Engineering Process
- Software Engineering | Re-engineering
- Software Engineering | Reverse Engineering
- Difference between Software Engineering process and Conventional Engineering Processs
- Various Approaches of Partitioning
- Various Approaches to Functional Testing
- Types of RCM Approaches
- Difference between Forward Engineering and Reverse Engineering
- Software Engineering | Halstead’s Software Metrics
- Software Engineering | Classification of Software Requirements
- Software Engineering | Classification of Software
- Software Engineering | Software Project Management Complexities
- Software Engineering | Role and Responsibilities of a software Project Manager
- Software Engineering | Seven Principles of software testing
- Software Engineering | Agile Software Development
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : himanshusaha