Function Point (FP) is an element of software development which helps to approximate the cost of development early in the process. It may measures functionality from user’s point of view.
Counting Function Point (FP):
F = 14 * scale
Scale varies from 0 to 5 according to character of Complexity Adjustment Factor (CAF). Below table shows scale:
0 - No Influence 1 - Incidental 2 - Moderate 3 - Average 4 - Significant 5 - Essential
- Step-2: Calculate Complexity Adjustment Factor (CAF).
CAF = 0.65 + ( 0.01 * F )
- Step-3: Calculate Unadjusted Function Point (UFP).
Function Units Low Avg High EI 3 4 6 EO 4 5 7 EQ 3 4 6 ILF 7 10 15 EIF 5 7 10
Multiply each individual function point to corresponding values in TABLE.
- Step-4: Calculate Function Point.
FP = UFP * CAF
Given the following values, compute function point when all complexity adjustment factor (CAF) and weighting factors are average.
User Input = 50 User Output = 40 User Inquiries = 35 User Files = 6 External Interface = 4
- Step-1: As complexity adjustment factor is average (given in question), hence,
scale = 3. F = 14 * 3 = 42
CAF = 0.65 + ( 0.01 * 42 ) = 1.07
- Step-3: As weighting factors are also average (given in question) hence we will multiply each individual function point to corresponding values in TABLE.
UFP = (50*4) + (40*5) + (35*4) + (6*10) + (4*7) = 628
Function Point = 628 * 1.07 = 671.96
This is the required answer.
Program to calculate Function Point is as follows :-
Function Point Analysis :- Unadjusted Function Points (UFP) : 628 Complexity Adjustment Factor (CAF) : 1.07 Function Points (FP) : 671.96
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.