Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) is a developer with the primary responsibility development of software product as well as writing framework and tools to test that product. Means it is an IT professional who can work effectively in development and testing roles. A (Software Development Engineer in Test) SDET takes part in the complete Software Development Process mainly we term it as Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). SDETs are able to understand software development as well as software testing.
Need of SDET :
Todays organizations have changed a lot in thier business process. They want more work with less people. When it comes to versatile skill with a single people then the role of Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) comes. As they are the only professional who take part in development as well as at the same time they can handle testing of the developed software. That’s why Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) helps in both means for developing high-performance code or designing the testing framework.
There is a trend in companies to hire multi skill IT professional. So SDET software professionals are highly on demand. The demand of Software Developer Engineer in the Test (SDET) are mainly high in the following fields :
Some essential non-technical skills for an SDET :
- Communication skill
- Time Management & Organization Skills
- Good Attitude
- Team Work
Some Technical skills expected from SDET :
- Designing Skill
- Programming Skill
- Exposure to BDD
- Testing Methodology
- Agile + Deops exposure
Preferred Skills :
- object-oriented design and coding skills
- Skilled with distributed systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- Experience in API testing.
- Knowledge about various test method
- Understanding of Quality Assurance methodologies, life cycle and processes.
- Experience of database testing including designing and manipulating test data.
- Along with Coding experience, experience of automation framework, tools and services for mobile.
Roles and Responsibilities of an SDET :
- Developing Software application with Software developer team.
- Performing Test Automation and setting up frameworks on multiple application platforms like Web, Mobile, and Desktop etc.
- Creating & managing bug reports and communicate with the team.
- Building different test scenarios and acceptance tests.
- Work with deployments teams and resolving any level issues for the system.
- Set up, maintaining, and operating test automation frameworks.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Generic Software Development and Custom Software Development
- Difference between Tester and SDET
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Software Engineering | Agile Software Development
- Software Engineering | Software Business and Development
- Software Engineering | Identifying Software Development Metrics
- Difference between Test Scenario and Test Condition in Software Engineering
- Modern Principles Of Software Development
- Software Engineering | Rapid application development model (RAD)
- Software Engineering | Agile Development Models
- Software Engineering | Program Development Life Cycle (PDLC)
- Scrum (software development)
- Software Engineering | Jackson System Development (JSD)
- Adaptive Software Development (ASD)
- Client-Server Software Development | Introduction to Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA)
- Software Development Organizational Structure
- Types of Defects in Software Development
- Difference between Traditional and Agile Software Development
- Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Reliability Attributes in Software Development
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.