SMS Full Form
SMS stands for Short Message Service.
It is basically a standardized communication protocol that is used for the exchange of text messages between mobile devices. It is one of the most widely used data applications. One can send SMS by using a smartphone, any other mobile phone, or a computer system equipped with the web, etc. The maximum length that a text message can have is 160 alpha-numeric characters. In the current scenario, the SMS facility is supported by GSM, CDMA, and TDMA mobile networks. The facility of SMS is provided by all the telecommunication companies like Vodafone, airtel, idea, etc.
The text message facility was first added to the mobile devices in the early 1980s. The action plan GSM for providing the services available to public data networks also to the mobile systems was approved in December 1982. According to this plan, the exchange of text messages was allowed either via mobile stations or via handling stations. Finally, the concept of SMS was thus developed in Franco-German cooperation by Friedhelm Hillebrand and Bernard Ghillebaert in 1984. The main idea behind the SMS concept was to use telephone optimized systems and to thus transport messages by making the use of signaling paths. The maximum length of text messages to be of 160 alpha-numeric characters was decided by Friedhelm Hillebrand.
- It is a very reliable and attested platform for sending important information which ensures a guaranteed delivery of the information.
- It is a more discrete form of sending information in comparison to a phone call.
- It is provided automatically to all mobile devices and there is no requirement for an internet connection.
- The conversations among people are automatically stored until deleted by the people themselves.
- It does not require any app to be downloaded as it is already provided in all the mobile devices.
- It has a limited length as it provides only 160 characters per text message.
- In order to send a text message one has to pay the cost for sending it as SMS facility is not free of cost.
- There is no possibility to unsend a message once sent.