SMPS full form
Full form of SMPS is Switch Mode Power Supply. It is one of the crucial parts of a motherboard or a PCB(Printed Circuit Board)
The Switch Mode Power Supply was introduced in the year 1977 which was designed with Apple II. In the year 1980, a synthesized signal generator was used alongside SMPS. Before SMPS was actually introduced, in the mid 1800’s, induction coils were used to generate high voltages. Later on, in 1900’s MOSFET(Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) was widely used for power supplies.
What is the function of SMPS ?
SMPS or also called as switcher is an electronic power supply that gives uses a regulator to convert into electric power.
Switch Mode Power Supply was enforced by Motorola. Until, switch mode was the term used in regular terms.
They are subdivided based on circuit topology. The types are:
- Buck – Current is continuous at the output.
- Boost – Current is continuous at the input.
- Buck-Boost – Current is discontinuous in terms of input and output as well.
- Split-pi – Current is bidirectional.
Features of SMPS :
The features include:
- It has an efficiency about 65 to 75%.
- Temperature rise upto 20 to 40 degrees Celsius.
- The weight is about 60 kgs.
- The magnetic material used is ferrite core.
- It is a light weight component.
- It is smaller in size.
- The heat generated by SMPS is low.
- The efficiency is high.
- It is complex in nature.
- It has only a single output voltage.
- It produces noises.
- Regulation of SMPS is worst.