Single band, Double band and Multi band Routers
Routers is a digital appliance in our daily life. The performance of a router has a great influence on our Wi-Fi online experience, so choosing a right router is very important. Router connects multiple network and forwards packets to other network.
1. Single Band Router:
- It is limited to just one frequency band and is also called “Wireless-N”.
- Single Band routers on a 2.4 GHz band offer theoretical speeds of up to 800 Mbps.Internet service limitation being an example.
- The user may encounter frequent connection problems thus speed and flexibility of Wi-fi is affected.
- Modern features like Device Prioritization and app based monitoring is not supported by Single band routers.
- Range of Single Band Router is shorter and low signal strength.
- Cost is economical and thus is most suitable for smaller home.
Single Band Router are used in:
- Web Surfing
- Online chatting
- Viewing photos
2. Dual Band Router:
- A 2.4 GHz Dual band routers uses 5 GHz of frequency band.
- It has a relative better speed and longer range when it is compared to Single Band router.
- Dual band routers support the many of the modern hardware devices by providing more stability and range.
- Amount of connected device has an impact on speed of Wi-fi, several of them might reduce speed a little bit.
- Automatic switching is possible between bands.
- Cost is expensive and thus is most suitable for larger home.
Dual Band Router are used in:
- HD Streaming
- Large File Transfer
- Gaming applications
3. Tri Band Router:
- Tri Band Routers support a 2.4 GHz and two 5GHz frequency band.
- There is a ease of connecting as many devices as possible without negatively affecting the Wi-Fi speed.
- Bandwidth increases three times due to the three separate Wi-Fi band.
- Efficient handling of multiple devices and faster file transfer is a result of high CPU speed in the Tri band routers.
- f you don’t have a lot of 5 GHz-compatible Wi-Fi devices, the upgrade might not be too noticeable, a extra 5 Ghz here acts as an extra LAN.
- Cost is highest when compared to Single and Dual Band Routers.
Tri Band Router are used in:
- Streaming Device
- Online gaming
- Multiple Devices
Following factors must be considered while choosing a router:
- Required network speed required
- Application scenario
- Compatible devices
If the requirement corresponds for a small home then a lower cost Single Band Router can be used. Whereas, for larger area and to optimize the internet speed at home/office a Dual Band Router or Tri Band Router can be used however compatibility issue may arise.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.