Given a pack of 2^N cards (0 … 2^N – 1), shuffle it in N steps. At step k (0 < k < N) we divide the deck into 2k equal-sized decks. Each one of those decks is reordered by having all the cards that lie on even positions first, followed by all cards that lie on odd positions (the order is preserved in each one of the two subsequences). Now, we are given a key (index). We have to answer the card on that position (0-based indexing). Examples:
Input : N = 3 (Size = 2^N), Key = 3 Output : 6 Explanation : Pack : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Shuffle 1 : 0 2 4 6|1 3 5 7 Shuffle 2 : 0 4|2 6|1 5|3 7 Card at index 3 : 6
Method 1 : We can simply simulate the whole process and find the exact order of the cards after all the N shuffles are done.
Time Complexity : O(N * 2^N)
Method 2 :
Let us try to find the binary representation of Key and the final answer and try to spot some observations based on it.
Let N = 3
Below is the table :
It is clearly visible that the answer is the reverse of binary representation of Key.
This article is contributed by Rohit. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Best way to answer If an Interviewer asks about Salary Expectation to you as a Fresher
- Range query for count of set bits
- Count Set-bits of number using Recursion
- Count smaller elements on right side and greater elements on left side using Binary Index Tree
- Equal Sum and XOR of three Numbers
- Lexicographical smallest alternate Array
- Find the number of pair of Ideal nodes in a given tree
- Bit manipulation | Swap Endianness of a number
- Find two integers A and B such that A ^ N = A + N and B ^ N = B + N
- Applications of Computer Graphics
- Quadruplet pair with XOR zero in the given Array
- Rearrange the characters of the string such that no two adjacent characters are consecutive English alphabets
- Flat Panel Display
- Find maximum xor of k elements in an array