Given a circle with a given radius has its centre at a particular position in the coordinate plane. In the coordinate plane, another point is given. The task is to find the shortest distance between the point and the circle.
Input: x1 = 4, y1 = 6, x2 = 35, y2 = 42, r = 5 Output: 42.5079 Input: x1 = 0, y1 = 0, x2 = 5, y2 = 12, r = 3 Output: 10
which is equal to (d-r)
d = √((x2-x1)^2 – (y2-y1)^2)
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
The shortest distance between a point and a circle is 42.5079
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Shortest distance between a Line and a Point in a 3-D plane
- Shortest distance from the centre of a circle to a chord
- Find the radii of the circles which are lined in a row, and distance between the centers of first and last circle is given
- Find the shortest distance between any pair of two different good nodes
- Perpendicular distance between a point and a Line in 2 D
- Distance between a point and a Plane in 3 D
- Ratio of the distance between the centers of the circles and the point of intersection of two direct common tangents to the circles
- Ratio of the distance between the centers of the circles and the point of intersection of two transverse common tangents to the circles
- Check whether it is possible to join two points given on circle such that distance between them is k
- Distance of chord from center when distance between center and another equal length chord is given
- Program to calculate area of inner circle which passes through center of outer circle and touches its circumference
- Find area of the larger circle when radius of the smaller circle and difference in the area is given
- Area of the circle that has a square and a circle inscribed in it
- Check if any point overlaps the given Circle and Rectangle
- Shortest distance to every other character from given character
- Equation of circle when three points on the circle are given
- Check if a circle lies inside another circle or not
- Angle subtended by the chord to center of the circle when the angle subtended by the another equal chord of a congruent circle is given
- Check whether a point exists in circle sector or not.
- Find if a point lies inside a Circle
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.