Short compare() method in Java
The compare() method of Short class is used to compare two primitive short values for numerical equality. As it is a static method therefore it can be used without creating any object of Short.
public static int compare(short x, short y)
Parameters: This method accepts two parameters:
- x: which is the first Short object to be compared.
- y: which is the Short object to be compared.
Return type : It returns an int value. It returns:
- 0 if ‘x’ is equal to ‘y’,
- a positive value ‘x’ is greater than ‘y’,
- a negative value ‘x’ is lesser than ‘y’
Below is the implementation of compare() method in Java:
Comparing 4 and 4 : 0
Comparing 4 and 2 : 2
Comparing 2 and 4 : -2