Given three integers a, b and c where c can be either 0 or 1. Without using any arithmetic, relational and conditional operators set the value of a variable x based on below rules –
If c = 0 x = a Else // Note c is binary x = b.
Input: a = 5, b = 10, c = 0; Output: x = 5 Input: a = 5, b = 10, c = 1; Output: x = 10
Solution 1: Using arithmetic operators
If we are allowed to use arithmetic operators, we can easily calculate x by using any one of below expressions –
x = ((1 - c) * a) + (c * b) OR x = (a + b) - (!c * b) - (c * a); OR x = (a * !c) | (b * c);
Solution 2: Without using arithmetic operators
The idea is to construct an array of size 2 such that index 0 of the array stores value of variable ‘a’ and index 1 value of variable b. Now we return value at index 0 or at index 1 of the array based on value of variable c.
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel . If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Conditional or Ternary Operator (?:) in C/C++
- Conditionally assign a value without using conditional and arithmetic operators
- Implementing ternary operator without any conditional statement
- Difference between Relational operator(==) and std::string::compare() in C++
- Can we access global variable if there is a local variable with same name?
- Internal static variable vs. External static variable with Examples in C
- Why overriding both the global new operator and the class-specific operator is not ambiguous?
- Operator Overloading '<<' and '>>' operator in a linked list class
- Print "Even" or "Odd" without using conditional statement
- Relational Operators on STL Array in C++
- Comparing String objects using Relational Operators in C++
- How to print a variable name in C?
- Different ways to initialize a variable in C/C++
- How to modify a const variable in C?
- Redeclaration of global variable in C
- Why variable name does not start with numbers in C ?
- Variable Length Argument in C
- Using a variable as format specifier in C
- Variable Length Arrays in C and C++
- C | Variable Declaration and Scope | Question 1