Given three integers a, b and c where c can be either 0 or 1. Without using any arithmetic, relational and conditional operators set the value of a variable x based on below rules –
If c = 0 x = a Else // Note c is binary x = b.
Input: a = 5, b = 10, c = 0; Output: x = 5 Input: a = 5, b = 10, c = 1; Output: x = 10
Solution 1: Using arithmetic operators
If we are allowed to use arithmetic operators, we can easily calculate x by using any one of below expressions –
x = ((1 - c) * a) + (c * b) OR x = (a + b) - (!c * b) - (c * a); OR x = (a * !c) | (b * c);
Solution 2: Without using arithmetic operators
The idea is to construct an array of size 2 such that index 0 of the array stores value of variable ‘a’ and index 1 value of variable b. Now we return value at index 0 or at index 1 of the array based on value of variable c.
This article is contributed by Aditya Goel . If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Conditional or Ternary Operator (?:) in C/C++
- Conditionally assign a value without using conditional and arithmetic operators
- Implementing ternary operator without any conditional statement
- Difference between Relational operator(==) and std::string::compare() in C++
- Can we access global variable if there is a local variable with same name?
- Why overriding both the global new operator and the class-specific operator is not ambiguous?
- Print "Even" or "Odd" without using conditional statement
- Relational Operators on STL Array in C++
- Comparing String objects using Relational Operators in C++
- How to print a variable name in C?
- How to modify a const variable in C?
- Variable Length Argument in C
- Different ways to initialize a variable in C/C++
- Redeclaration of global variable in C
- Using a variable as format specifier in C