Here, we are going to learn how to send a simple basic mail using Python code. Python, being a powerful language don’t need any external library to import and offers a native library to send emails- “SMTP lib”. “smtplib” creates a Simple Mail Transfer Protocol client session object which is used to send emails to any valid email id on the internet. Different websites use different port numbers.
In this article, we are using a Gmail account to send a mail. Port number used here is ‘587’. And if you want to send mail using website other than Gmail, you need to get the corresponding information.
Steps to send mail from Gmail account:
- First of all, “smtplib” library needs to be imported.
- After that, to create a session, we will be using its instance SMTP to encapsulate an SMTP connection.
s = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com', 587)
In this, you need to pass the first parameter of the server location and the second parameter of the port to use. For Gmail, we use port number 587.
- For security reasons, now put the SMTP connection in the TLS mode. TLS (Transport Layer Security) encrypts all the SMTP commands. After that, for security and authentication, you need to pass your Gmail account credentials in the login instance.
The compiler will show an authentication error if you enter invalid email id or password.
- Store the message you need to send in a variable say, message. Using the sendmail() instance, send your message. sendmail() uses three parameters: sender_email_id, receiver_email_id and message_to_be_sent. The parameters need to be in the same sequence.
This will send the email from your account. After you have completed your task, terminate the SMTP session by using quit().
Sending same message to multiple people
If you need to send the same message to different people. You can use for loop for that.
For example, you have a list of email ids to which you need to send the same mail. To do so, insert a for loop between the initialization and termination of the SMTP session. Loop will initialize turn by turn and after sending the email, SMTP session will be terminated.
- This code can send simple mail which doesn’t have any attachment or any subject.
- One most amazing thing about this code is that we can send any number of emails using this and Gmail always put your mail in the primary section. Mails send will not be Spam.
- File handling can also be used to fetch email id from a file and further used for sending the emails.
This article is contributed by Rishabh Bansal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Send mail with attachment from your Gmail account using Python
- Python | Fetch your gmail emails from a particular user
- Terminal Mail and Linux Security Mail
- Python | Send SMS using Twilio
- Send message to FB friend using Python
- Send SMS updates to mobile phone using python
- Sending Emails Using API in Flask-Mail
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
Improved By : SelsoLiberado