Samsung (SRIB) Internship Interview Experience
There were three rounds in the hiring process.
Round 1 (Coding):
It consisted of three programming questions and everyone got different set of questions. Here are the ones that I recieved:
- The last non-zero digit of the factorial of a number. To find the factorial for large values of n was costly in terms of time complexity. I optimized the solution and cleared all test cases.
- Ceil Value Node: Node with smallest data larger than or equal to key value. We were required to find that node in a BST. I went for the the recursive approach andcleared all test cases.
- Difference between the maximum and minimum depthfrom the root of a binary tree. I again went for the recursive approach of finding heights and cleared all test cases.
Round 2 (Technical I):
Interview took place on Skype. The recruiter focused mainly on the programming questions and less on projects:
- Question on Trie – How to find the words ending with suffix ‘-ing’ in a dictionary. I could not answer it completely and the recruiter went on to next questions.
- Given a matrix initialised with zeroes. There are queries based on indices- (i,j) and after each query, the ith row elements will increment with 1 and same goes for the jth column. After all the queries, we need to count the number of odd numbers in the matrix. I approached with naive approach which has O(k x n^2) complexity. But laterI optimized it based on the fact that even+even=even odd+odd=even and only the case of odd+even could bear an odd result.
- Coin exchange problem- Minimum number of coins (using Greedy Approach) to make up a particular sum.
- Reversing a liked list and reversing it again to retrieve the original linked list back. I solved it using recursive approach.
- The number of nodes at a certain level of a Binary Tree. This can be solved easily by hashing.
- Brief intro of projects and whawas my role in the projects.
The recruiter was supportive and the round was very smooth one. The questions were missing a lot of parts that the recruiter wanted me to ask and then move forward.
Round 3(Technical II):
The interview was again on Skype but this time the video of the recruiter was turned off, which was confusing at first but then I adapted to it. This round focused equally on both-coding as well as projects.
- Explain your projects, your skills and interests. The reason behind using the technology I had used which I explained in detail.
- Code snippet on creating a server using express, which Idid on my text editor and shared the screen.
- Given a matrix having some duplicate rows. Give the simmilar row indeices in the output. I solved it using hashing the rows with indices array. Though I couldn’t optimize it any further, the recruiter explained the solution using Trie.
- Various Linked List and Binary Tree questions based on Recursion ( Reversing, Check Mirror, Check Symmetric) which I easily cleared and explained the sudo code with test cases.
- A problem based on doubly linked list- There are continuous people coming to the queue and they must enter the queue at the location where they belong according to their heights in descending order. I explained the solution and he was satisfied with it.
The recruiter then asked if I had any questions, I asked him about the technologies he is working on. The recruiter was friendly and even excused the sudden power cut that took place while the interview. It was a a great interview experience and a quite enlightening one. I recieved the information of my selection a few hours later of my second interview. Even when I was not sure of my solution I communicated with the recruiter on my approach and he gave me a few hints using which the questions were solved.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon. Google and Microsoft Test Serieses.