Samsung R & D Banglore Intern Interview Experience
Round 1 – Coding Round:
The first round was a coding round. There were different set of questions for each candidate. The questions in my set were:
1) Find the path between two nodes in a tree.
2) A simple array based question.
3) Count the leaf nodes of a tree.
Around 65 students qualified this round. The people who solved atleast 2 of the 3 problems qualified. We were expected to solve the problems in best time and space complexities.
Round 2 – Pen and Paper Round:
In this Round, we were expected to code a problem with proper comments, and discuss it with the Samsung Interviewers around. The problem was:
Given a matrix consisting of 1’s and 0’s, 0 denoting the blocked cell, and 1 denoting the safe cell, our aim was to reach from cell (1, 1) to cell (N, M) in minimum number of steps. We are allowed to move in any one of the 4 directions, left, right, up and down. The output was minimum number of steps required. We were not allowed to use any standard inbuilt data structures.
Approach: Use BFS to find the shortest path from source to destination, with each node (i, j) having 4 edges at most (i-1, j), (i+1, j), (i, j-1) and (i, j+1).
The people who were able to code the problem by making use of BFS qualified for next round. People who used DFS to approach the problem were out.
45 people were shortlisted for the interviews.
Round 3 – Interview:
The interview was quite easy, and lasted for 5-10 minutes. Basic questions like:
- Check whether a given number is power of 2 or not. (Check whether the number of set bits are 1 or not) – https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/program-to-find-whether-a-no-is-power-of-two/
- Count the number of set bits in a given number.
- Given a string, reverse it word wise without using any extra space in O(N) time. – https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/reverse-words-in-a-given-string/
My friends were asked with some puzzles as well, but all of them were common ones and can be found on gfg easily.
32 candidates were selected for internship.!
Final Verdict: SELECTED!!