RSA Full Form
RSA stands for Rivest, Shamir, Adleman. These are the creators of the RSA Algorithm. It is a public-key encryption technique used for secure data transmission especially over the internet. Transmitting confidential and sensitive data over the internet through this technology is safe due to its standard encryption method. It was developed by scientist Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman at RSA Data Security Inc. in 1978. In this algorithm, a code is added to the normal message for security purposes. The algorithm is based on the factorization of large number. Large numbers cannot be easily factorized, so breaking into the message for intruders is difficult.
Working of RSA
It works on two keys:
- Public key: It comprises of two numbers, in which one number is the result of the product of two large prime numbers. This key is provided to all the users.
- Private key: It is derived from the two prime numbers involved in public key and it always remains private.
Charcateristics of RSA
- It is a public key encryption technique.
- It is safe for exchange of data over internet.
- It maintains confidentiality of the data.
- RSA has high toughness as breaking into the keys by interceptors is very difficult.
Advantages of RSA
- It is very easy to implement RSA algorithm.
- RSA algorithm is safe and secure for transmitting confidential data.
- Cracking RSA algorithm is very difficult as it involves complex mathematics.
- Sharing public key to users is easy.
Disadvantages of RSA
- It may fail sometimes because for complete encryption both symmetric and asymmetric encryption is required and RSA uses symmetric encryption only.
- It has slow data transfer rate due to large numbers involved.
- It requires third party to verify the reliability of public keys sometimes.
- High processing is required at receiver’s end for decryption.