Bit Rotation: A rotation (or circular shift) is an operation similar to shift except that the bits that fall off at one end are put back to the other end.
In left rotation, the bits that fall off at left end are put back at right end.
In right rotation, the bits that fall off at right end are put back at left end.
Let n is stored using 8 bits. Left rotation of n = 11100101 by 3 makes n = 00101111 (Left shifted by 3 and first 3 bits are put back in last ). If n is stored using 16 bits or 32 bits then left rotation of n (000…11100101) becomes 00..0011100101000.
Right rotation of n = 11100101 by 3 makes n = 10111100 (Right shifted by 3 and last 3 bits are put back in first ) if n is stored using 8 bits. If n is stored using 16 bits or 32 bits then right rotation of n (000…11100101) by 3 becomes 101000..0011100.
Left Rotation of 16 by 2 is 64 Right Rotation of 16 by 2 is 4
Please write comments if you find any bug in the above program or other ways to solve the same problem.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Check if bits of a number has count of consecutive set bits in increasing order
- Toggle bits of a number except first and last bits
- Print numbers having first and last bits as the only set bits
- Check if all bits can be made same by flipping two consecutive bits
- Rotate Matrix Elements
- Inplace rotate square matrix by 90 degrees | Set 1
- Rotate each ring of matrix anticlockwise by K elements
- Rotate a matrix by 90 degree without using any extra space | Set 2
- Program to cyclically rotate an array by one
- Rotate a Matrix by 180 degree
- Rotate Linked List block wise
- String slicing in Python to rotate a string
- Rotate the matrix right by K times
- Rotate Doubly linked list by N nodes
- Rotate a matrix by 90 degree in clockwise direction without using any extra space
- Rotate the sub-list of a linked list from position M to N to the right by K places
- Python | Ways to rotate a list
- Rotate all odd numbers right and all even numbers left in an Array of 1 to N
- How to Left or Right rotate an Array in Java
- Rotate matrix by 45 degrees
Improved By : SoumikMondal