Prerequisite – Functions of Operating System
The File Manager is a system software responsible for the creation, deletion, modification of the files and managing their access, security and the resources used by them. These functions are performed in collaboration with the Device Manager.
The File Manager has big responsibilities in it’s hands. It is in charge of the physical components of the computer system, information resources and the policies to store and distribute the files. It’s responsibilities include :
- Keeping track of each file.
In the system, the File Manager keeps track of each file through directories that contain the file’s name, location in secondary storage and other important information.
- Using of the policies that determine where & how the files would be stored, in order to efficiently use the available storage and provide access to them.
It has a set of predetermined policies that decides where and how the files would be stored and how the user will be able to gain access to them. Also, it must also determine who can access what material. This involves flexibility of access to information and it’s protection. It is done by allowing the user the access to shared files and public directories. The operating system must also protect it’s file from system malfunctions or tampering of files.
- Allocating each file when the user is granted access to them, and recording their use.
The File Manager allocates the files by activating the appropriate secondary storage device and loading the file into the main memory while also updating the records of who is using what file.
- Deallocating the files when their use in finished and are not needed, and also communicating to others about it’s availability which are waiting for it.
It deallocates the file by updating the file tables and rewriting the updated file into the secondary storage, then communicating with other processes and notifying them about it’s availability.
- Transport Layer responsibilities
- Context Manager Using @contextmanager Decorator
- Python program to reverse the content of a file and store it in another file
- Node.js | NPM (Node Package Manager)
- How to include one CSS file in another?
- File uploading in Node.js
- File Management in Linux
- Difference between File and Folder
- How to refresh a file in Node.js ?
- How to copy a file from one directory to another using PHP ?
- Network File System (NFS)
- Path Name in File Directory
- File System Inconsistency
- How to Examine .torrent File?
- File Allocation Methods
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.