A column of a data frame can be changed using the position it is in known as its index. Just by the use of index a column can be renamed. This article discusses all such possible methods.
- Import required python library.
- Create data
- Provide index of the column to be renamed as argument to rename() function.
Pandas rename() method is used to rename any index, column or row.
Syntax: rename(mapper=None, index=None, columns=None, axis=None, copy=True, inplace=False, level=None)
- mapper, index and columns: Dictionary value, key refers to the old name and value refers to new name. Only one of these parameters can be used at once.
- axis: int or string value, 0/’row’ for Rows and 1/’columns’ for Columns
- copy: Copies underlying data if True.
- inplace: Makes changes in original Data Frame if True.
- level: Used to specify level in case data frame is having multiple level index.
Return Type: Data frame with new names
Given below are various implementation to achieve our required functionality:
Example 1: Switching both column names with each other using column index.
Example 2: Using another method to rename the column with index.
Example 3: Renaming two/more columns in a single command using an index number.
Example 4: Renaming column name with an index number of the CSV file.
File in use: Data1.csv
Link: Click here
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning – Basic Level Course