Given a string, we need to check whether it is possible to make this string a palindrome after removing exactly one character from this.
Input : str = “abcba” Output : Yes we can remove character ‘c’ to make string palindrome Input : str = “abcbea” Output : Yes we can remove character ‘e’ to make string palindrome Input : str = “abecbea” It is not possible to make this string palindrome just by removing one character
We can solve this problem by finding the position of mismatch. We start looping in the string by keeping two pointers at both the ends which traverse towards mid position after each iteration, this iteration will stop when we find a mismatch, as it is allowed to remove just one character we have two choices here,
At mismatch, either remove character pointed by left pointer or remove character pointed by right pointer.
We will check both the cases, remember as we have traversed equal number of steps from both sides, this mid string should also be a palindrome after removing one character, so we check two substrings, one by removing left character and one by removing right character and if one of them is palindrome then we can make complete string palindrome by removing corresponding character, and if both substrings are not palindrome then it is not possible to make complete string a palindrome under given constraint.
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Return maximum occurring character in an input string
- Print all the duplicates in the input string
- Remove characters from the first string which are present in the second string
- Remove duplicates from a given string
- Print reverse of a string using recursion
- Write a program to print all permutations of a given string
- Divide a string in N equal parts
- Given a string, find its first non-repeating character
- Write a program to reverse an array or string
- Reverse words in a given string
- Find the smallest window in a string containing all characters of another string
- Palindrome Partitioning | DP-17
- Given a number, find the next smallest palindrome
- Lexicographic rank of a string
- An in-place algorithm for String Transformation
Improved By : sanjeev2552