Dictionary in Python is an unordered collection of data values, used to store data values like a map, which unlike other Data Types that hold only single value as an element, Dictionary holds
key:value pair. Key-value is provided in the dictionary to make it more optimized. A regular dictionary type does not track the insertion order of the (key, value) pairs and thus iterates through the keys based on how they are stored in the hash table which in turn is based on random values so as to reduce collisions.
In contrast to this Python provides the OrderedDict type which remembers the insertion order of (key, value) pairs in the dictionary and thus preserves the order. OrderedDict consumes more memory than a regular dictionary in Python because of the underlying Doubly LinkedList implementation to preserving the order.
Regular dictionary: ('a', 97) ('c', 99) ('b', 98) ('e', 101) ('d', 100) ('f', 102) OrderedDict: ('a', 97) ('b', 98) ('c', 99) ('d', 100) ('e', 101) ('f', 102)
Note: Starting from Python 3.7, insertion order of Python dictionaries is guaranteed.
Deletion and Re-Inserting:
Deleting and re-inserting the same key will push it to the back as OrderedDict however maintains the order of insertion.
Before deleting: Regular dictionary: ('a', 1) ('c', 3) ('b', 2) ('d', 4) Ordered dictionary: ('a', 1) ('b', 2) ('c', 3) ('d', 4) After deleting: Regular dictionary: ('a', 1) ('b', 2) ('d', 4) Ordered dictionary: ('a', 1) ('b', 2) ('d', 4) After re-inserting: Regular dictionary: ('a', 1) ('c', 3) ('b', 2) ('d', 4) Ordered dictionary: ('a', 1) ('b', 2) ('d', 4) ('c', 3)
- Scraping And Finding Ordered Words In A Dictionary using Python
- Program to print all distinct elements of a given integer array in Python | Ordered Dictionary
- Python | Convert nested dictionary into flattened dictionary
- Python | Convert flattened dictionary into nested dictionary
- Python | Convert string dictionary to dictionary
- Python | Pretty Print a dictionary with dictionary value
- Python | Dictionary initialization with common dictionary
- NLP | Storing an ordered dictionary in Redis
- Python | Get the first key in dictionary
- Python Dictionary
- Python | Get key from value in Dictionary
- How to create a Dictionary in Python
- Python | Add new keys to a dictionary
- Get length of dictionary in Python
- Python | Least Value test in Dictionary
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.