Real time system means that the system is subjected to real time, i.e., response should be guaranteed within a specified timing constraint or system should meet the specified deadline. For example: flight control system, real time monitors etc.
Types of real time systems based on timing constraints:
- Hard real time system –
This type of sytem can never miss its deadline. Missing the deadline may have disastrous consequences.The usefulness of result produced by a hard real time system decreases abruptly and may become negative if tardiness increases. Tardiness means how late a real time system completes its task with respect to its deadline. Example: Flight controller system.
- Soft real time system –
This type of system can miss its deadline occasionally with some acceptably low probability. Missing the deadline have no disastrous consequences. The usefulness of result produced by a soft real time system decreases gradually with increase in tardiness. Example: Telephone switches.
Reference model of real time system: Our reference model is characterized by three elements:
- A workload model: It specifies the application supported by system.
- A resource model: It specifies the resources available to the application.
- Algorithms: It specifies how the application system will use resources.
Terms related to real time system:
- Job – A job is a small piece of work that can be assigned to a processor and may or may not require resources.
- Task – A set of related jobs that jointly provide some system functionality.
- Release time of a job – It is the time at which job becomes ready for execution.
- Execution time of a job – It is the time taken by job to finish its execution.
- Deadline of a job – It is the time by which a job should finish its execution. Deadline is of two types: absolute deadline and relative deadline.
- Response time of a job – It is the length of time from release time of a job to the instant when it finishes.
- Maximum allowable response time of a job is called its relative deadline.
- Absolute deadline of a job is equal to its relative deadline plus its release time.
- Processors are also known as active resources. They are essential for execution of a job. A job must have one or more processors in order to execute and proceed towards completion. Example: computer, transmission links.
- Resources are also known as passive resources. A job may or may not require a resource during its execution. Example: memory, mutex
- Two resources are identical if they can be used interchangeably else they are heterogeneous.
- Least Slack Time (LST) scheduling Algorithm in real-time systems
- Tasks in Real Time systems
- Resource Reservation Protocol in Real-time Systems
- Difference between Time Sharing OS and Real-Time OS
- Operating Systems | Input Output Systems | Question 5
- Operating Systems | Set 13
- Operating Systems | Set 12
- Operating Systems | Set 11
- Operating Systems | Set 14
- Operating Systems | Set 15
- Operating Systems | Set 17
- Operating Systems | Set 16
- Operating Systems | Set 9
- Operating Systems | Set 10
- Operating Systems | Set 6
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.