Reader read(CharBuffer) method in Java with Examples
The read(CharBuffer) method of Reader Class in Java is used to read the specified characters into a CharBuffer instance. This method blocks the stream till:
- It has taken some input from the stream.
- Some IOException has occurred
- It has reached the end of the stream while reading.
public int read(CharBuffer charBuffer)
Parameters: This method accepts a mandatory parameter charBuffer which is the CharBuffer instance to be written in the Stream.
Return Value: This method returns an integer value which is the number of characters read from the stream. It returns -1 if no character has been read.
Exception: This method throws following exceptions:
- IOException: if some error occurs while input output.
- NullPointerException: if the CharBuffer instance to be filled is null
- ReadOnlyBufferException: if the CharBuffer instance to be filled is a read only buffer
Below methods illustrates the working of read(CharBuffer) method: