Given that the ratio to sum of first m and n terms of an A.P. with first term ‘a’ and commond difference ‘d’ is m^2:n^2. The task is to find the ratio of mth and nth term of this A.P.
Input: m = 3, n = 2 Output: 1.6667 Input: m = 5, n = 3 Output: 1.8
Let the Sum of first m and n terms be denoted by Sm and Sn respectively.
Also, let the mth and nth term be denoted by tm and tn respectively.
Sm = (m * [ 2*a + (m-1)*d ])/2
Sn = (n * [ 2*a + (n-1)*d ])/2
Given: Sm / Sn = m^2 / n^2
Hence, ((m * [ 2*a + (m-1)*d ])/2) / ((n * [ 2*a + (n-1)*d ])/2) = m^2 / n^2
=> (2*a + (m-1)*d) / (2*a + (n-1)*d) = m / n
on cross multiplying and solving, we get
d = 2 * a
Hence, the mth and nth terms can be written as:
mth term = tm = a +(m-1)*d = a + (m-1)*(2*a)
nth term = tn = a +(n-1)*d = a + (n-1)*(2*a)
Hence the ratio will be:
tm / tn = (a + (m-1)*(2*a)) / (a + (n-1)*(2*a))
tm / tn = (2*m – 1) / (2*n – 1)
Below is the required implementation:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Sum of P terms of an AP if Mth and Nth terms are given
- Find Pth term of a GP if Mth and Nth terms are given
- Ratio of mth and nth term in an Arithmetic Progression (AP)
- Mth bit in Nth binary string from a sequence generated by the given operations
- Find n terms of Fibonacci type series with given first two terms
- Sum of two numbers if the original ratio and new ratio obtained by adding a given number to each number is given
- Number of quadruples where the first three terms are in AP and last three terms are in GP
- Find the number which when added to the given ratio a : b, the ratio changes to c : d
- Deriving the expression of Fibonacci Numbers in terms of golden ratio
- Nth term of given recurrence relation having each term equal to the product of previous K terms
- Find the Mth element of the Array after K left rotations
- Mth element after K Right Rotations of an Array
- Sum of nth terms of Modified Fibonacci series made by every pair of two arrays
- Count the occurrence of Nth term in first N terms of Van Eck's sequence
- Find nth Fibonacci number using Golden ratio
- Count sequences of given length having non-negative prefix sums that can be generated by given values
- First N natural can be divided into two sets with given difference and co-prime sums
- Program to convert given number of days in terms of Years, Weeks and Days
- Maximum Length of Sequence of Sums of prime factors generated by the given operations
- Generate a combination of minimum coins that sums to a given value
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.