- When 2 or more people compete to reach a certain point, they are said to be participating in a race.
- Start : If one person gives a start to another person, it means that the second person has to run less than the first person. For example, if A gives a start of 40 m to B in 100 m race, it means that A will run for 100 m but B will run for 100 – 40 = 60 m.
Question 1 : In a 100 m race, A beats B by 28 metres. Also, at the finish line, A was 7 seconds ahead of B. Find the time taken by A to complete the race.
Solution : According to the question, B covers 28 m in 7 seconds.
=> B’s speed = 28 / 7 = 4 m/s
=> Time required by B to complete 100 m = 100 / 4 = 25 s
Now, A needs 7 s less than B to complete the race.
=> Time required by A = 25 – 7 = 18 s
Question 2 : In a 100 m race, A can give a start of 4 m to B and 6.4 m to C. How much start can B give to C ?
Solution : If A covers 100 m, B covers 96 m and C covers 93.6 m
=> When B covers 96 m, C covers 93.6 m
=> When B covers 100 m, C covers (93.6 / 96) x 100 = 97.5 m
Therefore, B can give a start of 100 – 97.5 = 2.5 m to C.
This article has been contributed by Nishant Arora
Please write comments if you have any doubts related to the topic discussed above, or if you are facing difficulty in any question or if you would like to discuss a question other than those mentioned above.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Cisco Systems Interview Experience | On-Campus 2021
- Barclays Interview Experience | On-Campus ( Virtual ) September 2020
- Minimize splits to generate monotonous Substrings from given String
- Minimize Sum of an Array by at most K reductions
- Add and Remove Edge in Adjacency Matrix representation of a Graph
- Check if two nodes are on same path in a tree | Set 2
- Minimum count of numbers required with unit digit X that sums up to N
- Print the longest path from root to leaf in a Binary tree
- Largest number M less than N such that XOR of M and N is even
- Shortest path in a complement graph
- First element of every K sets having consecutive elements with exactly K prime factors less than N
- Puzzle | Single Elimination Tournament
- Minimum changes required to make all Array elements Prime
- Puzzle | The Circle of Lights