- When 2 or more people compete to reach a certain point, they are said to be participating in a race.
- Start : If one person gives a start to another person, it means that the second person has to run less than the first person. For example, if A gives a start of 40 m to B in 100 m race, it means that A will run for 100 m but B will run for 100 – 40 = 60 m.
Question 1 : In a 100 m race, A beats B by 28 metres. Also, at the finish line, A was 7 seconds ahead of B. Find the time taken by A to complete the race.
Solution : According to the question, B covers 28 m in 7 seconds.
=> B’s speed = 28 / 7 = 4 m/s
=> Time required by B to complete 100 m = 100 / 4 = 25 s
Now, A needs 7 s less than B to complete the race.
=> Time required by A = 25 – 7 = 18 s
Question 2 : In a 100 m race, A can give a start of 4 m to B and 6.4 m to C. How much start can B give to C ?
Solution : If A covers 100 m, B covers 96 m and C covers 93.6 m
=> When B covers 96 m, C covers 93.6 m
=> When B covers 100 m, C covers (93.6 / 96) x 100 = 97.5 m
Therefore, B can give a start of 100 – 97.5 = 2.5 m to C.
This article has been contributed by Nishant Arora
Please write comments if you have any doubts related to the topic discussed above, or if you are facing difficulty in any question or if you would like to discuss a question other than those mentioned above.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above
- A Must Do Free Interview Preparation Course by GeeksforGeeks
- A subtle guide to get that college internship
- TCS Ninja Interview Experience and Interview Questions
- Deloitte Interview Experience (On-Campus)
- How to crack any Technical Interview
- Samsung Delhi Interview Experience (On-Campus for Software Engineer) - September 2018
- UBS interview experience (on campus)
- American Express (On-Campus Internship, Full Time Offer)
- Cvent Interview Experience(On campus for Internship and Full Time)
- Barclays Investment Bank Pune Interview Experience (On-Campus Interview)
- How to prepare for AMCAT?
- Cerner Interview Experience (Off-Campus) for the role of Software Engineer
- How to attempt Function Coding Questions?
- Cognizant Placement Paper | Aptitude Set 4