Inheritance is one of the concept in object oriented programming by which new classes can derived from existing or base classes helping in re-usability of code. Derived classes can be the same as a base class or can have extended features which creates a hierarchical structure of classes in the programming environment. In this article, we’ll discuss how inheritance is followed out with three different types of classes in R programming.
Inheritance in S3 Class
S3 class in R programming language has no formal and fixed definition. In an S3 object, a list with its class attribute is set to a class name. S3 class objects inherit only methods from its base class.
The method print.student() is inherited: Utkarsh 21 96 After overwriting method print.student(): Utkarsh is from India Does object 's' is inherited by class 'student' ?  TRUE
Inheritance in S4 Class
S4 class in R programming have proper definition and derived classes will be able to inherit both attributes and methods from its base class.
Utkarsh 21 96
Inheritance in Reference Class
Inheritance in reference class is almost similar to the S4 class and uses
setRefClass() function to perform inheritance.
 16 Error in s$dec_age(20) : Age cannot be negative  16
- Multiple Inheritance in PHP
- Perl | Inheritance in OOPs
- Understanding Encapsulation, Inheritance, Polymorphism, Abstraction in OOPs
- GridView in Android with Example
- AudioManager in Android with Example
- RecyclerView using GridLayoutManager in Android With Example
- 7 Best R Packages for Machine Learning
- How to Perform Hierarchical Cluster Analysis using R Programming?
- CustomArrayAdapter in Android with Example
- Staggered GridView in Android with Example
- Permutation Hypothesis Test in R Programming
- Compressing a File in Golang
- Node.js Bot.help() Method
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.