A bar chart is a pictorial representation of data that presents categorical data with rectangular bars with heights or lengths proportional to the values that they represent. In other words, it is the pictorial representation of dataset. These data sets contain the numerical values of variables that represent the length or height.
R uses the function barplot() to create bar charts. Here, both vertical and Horizontal bars can be drawn.
Syntax:barplot(H, xlab, ylab, main, names.arg, col)
- H: This parameter is a vector or matrix containing numeric values which are used in bar chart.
- xlab: This parameter is the label for x axis in bar chart.
- ylab: This parameter is the label for y axis in bar chart.
- main: This parameter is the title of the bar chart.
- names.arg: This parameter is a vector of names appearing under each bar in bar chart.
- col: This parameter is used to give colors to the bars in the graph.
Creating a Simple Bar Chart
Approach: In order to create a Bar Chart:
- A vector (H <- c(Values…)) is taken which contain numeral values to be used.
- This vector H is plot using barplot().
Creating a Horizontal Bar Chart
Approach: To create a horizontal bar chart:
- Take all parameters which are required to make simple bar chart.
- Now to make it horizontal new parameter is added.
barplot(A, horiz=TRUE )
Example: Creating a horizontal bar chart
Adding Label, Title and Color in the BarChart
Label, title and colors are some properties in the bar chart which can be added to the bar by adding and passing an argument.
- To add the title in bar chart.
barplot( A, main = title_name )
- X-axis and Y-axis can be labeled in bar chart. To add the label in bar chart.
barplot( A, xlab= x_label_name, ylab= y_label_name)
- To add the color in bar chart.
barplot( A, col=color_name)
Creating Stacked and Grouped Bar Chart
The bar chart can be represented in two form group of bars and stacked.
- Take a vector value and make it matrix M which to be grouped or stacked. Making of matrix can be done by.
M <- matrix(c(values...), nrow = no_of_rows, ncol = no_of_column, byrow = TRUE)
- To display the bar explicitly we can use the beside parameter.
barplot( beside=TRUE )
- Difference between self::$bar and static::$bar in PHP
- R - Pie Charts
- R - Charts and Graphs
- Adding Colors to Charts in R Programming
- Create Dot Charts in R Programming - dotchart () Function
- How to get card vertically centered between search bar and bottom of the viewport?
- Hide scroll bar, but while still being able to scroll using CSS
- Upload Progress Bar in PHP
- How to do box shadow with progress bar style using bootstrap?
- How to create Responsive Bottom Navigation Bar using Bootstrap ?
- How to change navigation bar color in Bootstrap ?
- How to hide scroll bar for inactivity?
- How to make whole area of a list item in navigation bar is clickable using CSS ?
- How to place content under fixed flexbox navigation bar ?
- Set Aspect Ratio of Scatter Plot and Bar Plot in R Programming - Using asp in plot() Function
- How to use Top Navigation with Left Navigation Bar using Bootstrap ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.