Quote Guessing Game using Web Scraping in Python
Prerequisite: BeautifulSoup Installation
In this article, we will scrape a quote and details of the author from this site http//quotes.toscrape.com using python framework called BeautifulSoup and develop a guessing game using different data structures and algorithm.
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course. And to begin with your Machine Learning Journey, join the Machine Learning - Basic Level Course
The user will be given 4 chances to guess the author of a famous quote, In every chance the user will be provided with a hint which can be the author’s birth date, first name’s first letter, second name’s first letter, etc. On successfully guessing the author, a message is printed and if the user fails to guess the answer even after all the 4 chances then again a message is printed along with the answer.
- Import module
- requests help us grab the page, when the response is received it is stored in the form of a string
- bs4 library is used to create beasutifulSoup object.
- csv library helps reading and writing CSV files using python
- sleep function from time module helps add delay in the execution of the program.
- choice function from random module returns a random element.
- Create a list to store values scraped
- Scrape the details from this link: http//quotes.toscrape.com
- Extract data
- Game logic
- Return random items from the dictionary created
- Set number of guesses
- Write message for success and failure
- Keep giving hints until either number of chances reach zero or the user gets it right