Given a rooted tree with N vertices and N-1 edges. We will be given many pairs of vertices u and v, we need to tell whether u is an ancestor of v or not. Given tree will be rooted at the vertex with index 0.
u = 1 v = 6 we can see from above tree that node 1 is ancestor of node 6 so the answer will be yes. u = 1 v = 7 we can see from above tree that node 1 is not an ancestor of node 7 so the answer will be no.
We can solve this problem using depth first search of the tree. While doing dfs we can observe a relation between the order in which we visit a node and its ancestors. If we assign in-time and out-time to each node when entering and leaving that node in dfs then we can see that for each pair of ancestor-descendant the in-time of ancestor is less than that of descendant and out-time of ancestor is more than that of descendant, so using this relation we can find the result for each pair of node in O(1) time.
So time complexity for preprocessing will be O(N) and for the query it will be O(1).
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Tree Traversals (Inorder, Preorder and Postorder)
- Find the node with minimum value in a Binary Search Tree
- Write a program to Calculate Size of a tree | Recursion
- Write a Program to Find the Maximum Depth or Height of a Tree
- Write a program to Delete a Tree
- If you are given two traversal sequences, can you construct the binary tree?
- Convert a Binary Tree into its Mirror Tree
- Given a binary tree, print out all of its root-to-leaf paths one per line.
- Lowest Common Ancestor in a Binary Search Tree.
- The Great Tree-List Recursion Problem.
- Check sum of Covered and Uncovered nodes of Binary Tree
- Level Order Tree Traversal
- Program to count leaf nodes in a binary tree
- A program to check if a binary tree is BST or not
- Check for Children Sum Property in a Binary Tree
Improved By : sanjeev2552