Quantile Regression is an algorithm that studies the impact of independent variables on different quantiles of the dependent variable distribution. Quantile Regression provides a complete picture of the relationship between Z and Y. It is robust and effective to outliers in Z observations. In Quantile Regression, the estimation and inferences are distribution free. Quantile regression is an extension of linear regression i.e when the conditions of linear regression are not met (i.e., linearity, independence, or normality), it is used. It estimates conditional quantile function as a linear combination of the predictors, used to study the distributional relationships of variables, helps in detecting heteroscedasticity, and also useful for dealing with censored variables. It is very easy to perform quantile regression in R programming.
Quantile regression is more effective and robust to outliers. In Quantile regression, you’re not limited to just finding the median i.e you can calculate any percentage(quantile) for a particular value in features variables. For example, if one wants to find the 30th quantile for the price of a particular building, that means that there is a 30% chance the actual price of the building is below the prediction, while there is a 70% chance that the price is above. Therefore, the quantile regression model equation is:
So, now instead of being constants, the beta coefficients have now functioned with a dependency on the quantile. Finding the values for these betas at a particular quantile value has almost the same process as it does for regular linear quantization. We now have to reduce the median absolute deviation.
Also, Mathematically pt takes the form:
The function pt(u) is the check function which gives asymmetric weights to error which depends on the quantile and the overall sign of the error.
Implementation in R
mtcars(motor trend car road test) comprises fuel consumption, performance, and 10 aspects of automobile design for 32 automobiles. It comes pre-installed with dplyr package in R.
Performing Quantile Regression on Dataset:
Using the Quantile regression algorithm on the dataset by training the model using features or variables in the dataset.
- Model Quan_fit:
The model Quan_fit has Intercept -129.7880 with 32 Degrees of Freedom.
- Model Summary:
The Model has tau value 0.5 with lower bd is -185.6818 and upper bd is -100.5439 of coefficient -129.7880.
The plot shows the quantile regression line in the Blue and linear regression line in Red. So, Quantile regression applications are used in growth charts, statistics, regression analysis with full capacity.
Advantages of Quantile Regression
- Helps in understanding the relationship between variables of data that have non-linear relationships having predictor variables.
- It is robust and effective for Outliers.
- It helps in obtaining statistical dispersion which helps in deeper review between the relationship of variables.
- Draw a Quantile-Quantile Plot in R Programming - qqline() Function
- Create Quantiles of a Data Set in R Programming - quantile() Function
- Compute the value of Cauchy Quantile Function in R Programming - qcauchy() Function
- Compute value of Logistic Quantile Function in R Programming - qlogis() Function
- Compute value of Log Normal Quantile Function in R Programming - qlnorm() Function
- Compute value of Quantile Chi Square Density in R Programming - qchisq() Function
- Compute the Value of Poisson Quantile Function in R Programming - qpois() Function
- Compute the Value of Negative Binomial Quantile Function in R Programming - qnbinom() Function
- Compute the value of Quantile Function over F Distribution in R Programming - qf() Function
- Compute the Value of Quantile Function over Weibull Distribution in R Programming - qweibull() Function
- Compute the value of Quantile Function over Studentized Distribution in R Programming - qtukey() Function
- Compute the value of Quantile Function over Wilcoxon Signedrank Distribution in R Programming - qsignrank() Function
- Compute the value of Quantile Function over Wilcoxon Rank Sum Distribution in R Programming – qwilcox() Function
- Compute the Value of Geometric Quantile Function in R Programming - qgeom() Function
- Compute the Value of Quantile Function over Uniform Distribution in R Programming - qunif() Function
- Poisson Regression in R Programming
- Logistic Regression in R Programming
- Regression Analysis in R Programming
- Perform Linear Regression Analysis in R Programming - lm() Function
- Polynomial Regression in R Programming
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.