Word similarity is a number between 0 to 1 which tells us how close two words are, semantically. This is done by finding similarity between word vectors in the vector space. spaCy, one of the fastest NLP libraries widely used today, provides a simple method for this task.
spaCy’s Model –
spaCy supports two methods to find word similarity: using context-sensitive tensors, and using word vectors. Below is the code to download these models.
# Downloading the small model containing tensors. python -m spacy download en_core_web_sm # Downloading over 1 million word vectors. python -m spacy download en_core_web_lg
Below is the code to find word similarity, which can be extended to sentences and documents.
cat True 6.6808186 False dog True 7.0336733 False Similarity: 0.80168545
The ‘en_core_web_md’ model yields vectors of dimension 300*1 for ‘dog’ and ‘cat’. One may also use the larger model, ‘en_vectors_web_lg’ which yields vectors of larger dimension for the same two words.
Using Custom Language Models –
By simply switching the language model, we can find a similarity between Latin, French or German documents. spaCy supports a total of 49 languages at present. spaCy also allows one to fix word vectors for words as per user need. Below is an example.
Before custom setting array([0., 0., 0., 0., 0., 0., 0., 0., --- ]) After custom setting array([ 0.68106073, 0.6037007, 0.9526876, -0.25600302, -0.24049562, --- ])
- Python | Measure similarity between two sentences using cosine similarity
- Python | PoS Tagging and Lemmatization using spaCy
- Python | Named Entity Recognition (NER) using spaCy
- Python | Similarity metrics of strings
- Python | Percentage similarity of lists
- Measuring the Document Similarity in Python
- Measure similarity between images using Python-OpenCV
- Python | Test list element similarity
- Python program to read file word by word
- NLP | WuPalmer - WordNet Similarity
- NLP | Leacock Chordorow (LCH) and Path similarity for Synset
- Python - Get Nth word in given String
- Python | Word Stretch
- Python - Separate first word from String
- Python - Move Word to Rear end
- Second most repeated word in a sequence in Python
- Python - Word starting at Index
- Python - Kth word replace in String
- Python | Word Embedding using Word2Vec
- Generating Word Cloud in Python | Set 2