Python is a high level, interpreted and general purpose dynamic programming language that focuses on code readability. Python requires less typing, provides new libraries, fast prototyping, and several other new features.
Scala is a high level language.it is a purely object-oriented programming language. The source code of the Scala is designed in such a way that its compiler can interpret the Java classes.
Below are some major differences between Python and Scala:
|Python is a dynamically typed language.||Scala is a statically typed language.|
|We don’t need to specify objects in Python because it is a dynamically typed Object Oriented Programming language.||We need to specify the type of variables and objects in Scala because Scala is statically typed Object Oriented Programming language.|
|Python is easy to learn and use.||Scala is less difficult to learn than Python.|
|An extra work is created for the interpreter at the runtime.||No extra work is created in Scala and thus it is 10 times faster than Python.|
|The data types are decided by it during runtime.||This is not the case in Scala that is why while dealing with large data process, Scala should be considered instead of Python|
|Python’s Community is huge compared to Scala.||Scala also has good community support. But still, it is lesser than Python.|
|Python supports heavyweight process forking and doesn’t support proper multithreading.||Scala has reactive cores and a list of asynchronous libraries and hence Scala is a better choice for implementing concurrency.|
|Its methodologies are much complex in Python as it is dynamic programming language.||Testing is much better in scala because it is a statically typed language.|
|It is popular because of its English-like syntax.||For scalable and concurrent systems, Scala play much bigger.|
|Python is easy for the developers to write code in it.||Scala is less difficult to learn than Python and it is difficult to write code in Scala.|
|There is an interface in Python to many OS system calls and libraries. It has many interpreters||It is basically a compiled language and all source codes are compiled before execution|
|Python language is highly prone to bugs whenever there is any change to the existing code.||No such problem is seen in Scala.|
|Python has libraries for Machine learning and proper data science tools and Natural Language Processing (NLP).||Where as Scala has no such tools.|
|Python can be used for small-scale projects.||Scala can be used for large-scale projects.|
|It doesn’t provide scalable feature support.||It provides scalable feature support.|
Attention geek! Strengthen your foundations with the Python Programming Foundation Course and learn the basics.
To begin with, your interview preparations Enhance your Data Structures concepts with the Python DS Course.
- Scala Tutorial – Learn Scala with Step By Step Guide
- Scala short <(x: Short): Boolean
- Scala short <(x: Char): Boolean
- Scala Extractors
- Scala | Partially Applied functions
- Scala String indexOf(String str) method with example
- Scala String contentEquals() method with example
- Scala Keywords
- Scala Int /(x: Int) method with example
- Scala Int /(x: Short) method with example
- Program to print Java Set of characters in Scala
- Scala Map size() method with example
- Scala SortedMap addString() method with a start, a separator and an end with example
- Scala Iterator addString() method with example
- Scala String substring(int beginIndex, int endIndex) method with example
- Scala | Functions Call-by-Name
- Program to convert Java list to an iterator in Scala
- Scala Set &() method with example
- Scala | Type Inference
- Program to convert Java set of Shorts to an Indexed Sequence in Scala
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.