There are many differences and similarities between Python and Ruby programming language.
Ruby is a dynamic, open source, object-oriented and reflective programming language. Ruby is considered similar to Perl and Smalltalk programming languages. It runs on all types of platforms like Windows, Mac OS and all versions of UNIX.
Python is a simple, easy to learn, powerful, high level and object-oriented programming language. It is an interpreted scripting language also. Guido Van Rossum is known as the founder of python programming.
- They both are high-level language.
- They both are a server-side scripting language.
- Both are used for web applications.
- Both work on multiple platforms.
- Both have clean syntax and are easily readable.
- Both use an interactive prompt called IRB.
- Objects are strongly and dynamically typed.
- Both use embedded doc tools.
- A GNU Debugger(gdb) style is available for each language.
- Both languages are supported by Emacs modes.
|Definition||Python is a high level programming language.||Ruby is a general purpose programming language.|
|Object Oriented||Not fully object oriented programming language.||Fully object oriented programming language.|
|Developing Environment||multiple IDEs are supported.||EclipseIDE is supported.|
|Mixins||Mixins can’t be used.||Mixins are used.|
|Web frameworks||Django||Ruby on Rails|
|Libraries||Has larger range of libraries.||It has smaller library than Python.|
|Devlopers||Created 1991 by Guido Van Rossum.||Created 1995 by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto.|
|Unset a variable||It will be present in the symbol table as long as it is in scope.||Once a variable is set you can’t unset it back.|
|Anonymous functions||Support only lambdas.||Support blocks, procs and lambdas.|
|lambda functions||It support only single line lambda function.||Its lambda functions are larger.|
|Functions||It has functions.||It Doesn’t have functions.|
|Community||Focussed in academia and Linux.||Mainly focused on web.|
|switch/case statement||It doesn’t support switch/case statement.||It support switch/case statement.|
|yield keyword||It returns execution to the scope outside the function’s invocation. External code is responsible for resuming the function.||It will execute another function that has been passed as the final argument, then immediately resume.|
|Built-in classes||Built-in classes can’t be modified||Built-in classes can be modified|
|Inheritance||Support multiple inheritance.||Support single inheritance.|
|Tuples||It support tuples.||It doesn’t support tuples.|
|Usage||Google, Dropbox, Instagram, Mozilla, Yahoo, Venom, You Tubes||Apple, GitHub, Twitter, Hulu, ZenDesk, Urban Dictionary|
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- try-except vs If in Python