Knowledge of any programming language can be a plus.
Reason for increasing popularity
- Emphasis on code readability, shorter codes, ease of writing
- Programmers can express logical concepts in fewer lines of code in comparison to languages such as C++ or Java.
- Python supports multiple programming paradigms, like object-oriented, imperative and functional programming or procedural.
- There exists inbuilt functions for almost all of the frequently used concepts.
- Philosophy is “Simplicity is the best”.
- There are no separate compilation and execution steps like C and C++.
- Directly run the program from the source code.
- Internally, Python converts the source code into an intermediate form called bytecodes which is then translated into native language of specific computer to run it.
- No need to worry about linking and loading with libraries, etc.
- Platform Independent
- Python programs can be developed and executed on multiple operating system platforms.
- Python can be used on Linux, Windows, Macintosh, Solaris and many more.
- Free and Open Source; Redistributable
- High-level Language
- In Python, no need to take care about low-level details such as managing the memory used by the program.
- Closer to English language;Easy to Learn
- More emphasis on the solution to the problem rather than the syntax
- Python can be used within C/C++ program to give scripting capabilities for the program’s users.
- Exceptional handling features
- Memory management techniques in built
- Rich Library Support
- The Python Standard Library is vary vast.
- Known as the “batteries included” philosophy of Python ;It can help do various things involving regular expressions, documentation generation, unit testing, threading, databases, web browsers, CGI, email, XML, HTML, WAV files, cryptography, GUI and many more.
- Besides the standard library, there are various other high-quality libraries such as the Python Imaging Library which is an amazingly simple image manipulation library.
Python vs JAVA
|Dynamically Typed1.No need to declare anything. An assignment statement binds a name to an object, and the object can be of any type.2.No type casting required when using container objects||Statically Typed 1.All variable names (along with their types) must be explicitly declared. Attempting to assign an object of the wrong type to a variable name triggers a type exception.2.Type casting is required when using container objects.|
|Concise Express much in limited words||VerboseContains more words|
|Uses Indentation for structuring code||Uses braces for structuring code|
The classical Hello World program illustrating the relative verbosity of a Java Program and Python Program
Similarity with Java
- Require some form of runtime on your system (JVM/Python runtime)
- Can probably be compiled to executables without the runtime (this is situational, none of them are designed to work this way)
LOOK and FEEL of the Python
Currently, there are two versions of Python available Python 2 and Python 3. Many beginners must be wondering with which version of Python they should start. My answer to this question is usually something along the lines “just go with the version your favourite tutorial is written in, and check out the differences later on.”
Softwares making use of Python
Python has been successfully embedded in a number of software products as a scripting language.
- GNU Debugger uses Python as a pretty printer to show complex structures such as C++ containers.
- Python has also been used in artificial intelligence
- Python is often used for natural language processing tasks.
Current Applications of Python
- A number of Linux distributions use installers written in Python example in Ubuntu we have the Ubiquity
- Python has seen extensive use in the information security industry, including in exploit development.
- Raspberry Pi– single board computer uses Python as its principal user-programming language.
- Python is now being used Game Development areas also.
- Ease of use
- Multi-paradigm Approach
- Slow speed of execution compared to C,C++
- Absence from mobile computing and browsers
- For the C,C++ programmers switching to python can be irritating as the language requires proper indentation of code. Certain variable names commonly used like sum are functions in python. So C, C++ programmers have to look out for these.
Most of the companies are now looking for candidates who know about Python Programming. Those having the knowledge of python may have more chances of impressing the interviewing panel. So I would suggest that beginners should start learning python and excel in it.
GeeksforGeeks is very soon going to introduce programming in Python too.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Article By Mudit Maheshwari:
A 3rd year B.Tech IT student from VIT University, Vellore having keen interest in coding , learning about new technology and developing softwares . Besides being passionate about coding, he also loves playing guitar and singing. Currently staying in Chennai. You can reach him at email@example.com.
If you also wish to showcase your blog here,please see GBlog for guest blog writing on GeeksforGeeks.
- Python | Pattern Generation using time() module
- Python Language Introduction
- Python Tweepy – Getting the language of a tweet
- Detect an Unknown Language using Python
- How to Create a Programming Language using Python?
- Language Translator Using Google API in Python
- Difference Between Go and Python Programming Language
- Python Language advantages and applications
- Python - Fastest Growing Programming Language
- Grammar Checker in Python using Language-check
- Python IMDbPY – Getting the language codes of the series
- Why is Python the Best-Suited Programming Language for Machine Learning?
- Python program to find GSoC organisations that use a Particular Programming Language
- ML | Text Generation using Gated Recurrent Unit Networks
- Text Generation using Recurrent Long Short Term Memory Network
- Avengers Endgame and Deep learning | Image Caption Generation using the Avengers EndGames Characters
- Distributed Objects Computing: The next generation of client-server computing
- P : A Programming Language
- JCL (Job Control Language)
- Natural Language Programming
Improved By : sagar utekar