Python too supports file handling and provides inbuilt functions for creating, writing and reading files. There are two types of files that can be handled in python, normal text files and binary files (written in binary language,0s and 1s).
- Text files: In this type of file, Each line of text is terminated with a special character called EOL (End of Line), which is the new line character (‘\n’) in python by default.
- Binary files: In this type of file, there is no terminator for a line and the data is stored after converting it into machine understandable binary language.
Refer the below articles to get the idea about basics of File handling.
Access modes govern the type of operations possible in the opened file. It refers to how the file will be used once it’s opened. These modes also define the location of the File Handle in the file. File handle is like a cursor, which defines from where the data has to be read or written in the file. Sometimes it becomes important for us to know the position of the File Hanlde.
tell() method can be used to get the position of File Handle.
tell() method returns current position of file object. This method takes no parameters and returns an integer value. Initially file pointer points to the beginning of the file(if not opened in append mode). So, the initial value of
tell() is zero.
Let’s suppose the text file named “myfile” looks like this:
# Example 1: Position of File Handle before reading or writing to file.
# Example 2: Position of File Handle after reading data from file.
# Example 3: For binary files. Let’s create a binary file and we will notice the position of handle before writing and after writing to binary file.
- Python PIL | Image.tell()
- Python - Call function from another function
- Wand function() function in Python
- Returning a function from a function - Python
- Difference between Virtual function and Pure virtual function in C++
- How to call some function before main() function in C++?
- wxPython - GetField() function function in wx.StatusBar
- How to write an empty function in Python - pass statement?
- Function Decorators in Python | Set 1 (Introduction)
- Vulnerability in input() function – Python 2.x
- Function Annotations in Python
- Sorted() function in Python
- Ways to sort list of dictionaries by values in Python - Using lambda function
- Python Numbers | choice() function
- Python | askopenfile() function in Tkinter
- Python | Binding function in Tkinter
- floor() and ceil() function Python
- Sum 2D array in Python using map() function
- ord() function in Python
- sum() function in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.