Prerequisite : Introduction to Statistical Functions
Python is a very popular language when it comes to data analysis and statistics. Luckily, Python3 provide
statistics module, which comes with very useful functions like
mean() function can be used to calculate mean/average of a given list of numbers. It returns mean of the data set passed as parameters.
Arithmetic mean is the sum of data divided by the number of data-points. It is a measure of the central location of data in a set of values which vary in range. In Python, we usually do this by dividing the sum of given numbers with the count of number present.
Given set of numbers : [n1, n2, n3, n5, n6] Sum of data-set = (n1 + n2 + n3 + n4 + n5) Number of data produced = 5 Average or arithmetic mean = (n1 + n2 + n3 + n4 + n5) / 5
[data-set] : List or tuple of a set of numbers.
Returns: Sample arithmetic mean of the provided data-set.
TypeError when anything other than numeric values are passed as parameter.
Code #1 : Working
Mean is : 4.428571428571429
Code #2 : Working
Mean of data set 1 is 5.857142857142857 Mean of data set 2 is -7.5 Mean of data set 3 is 2.4285714285714284 Mean of data set 4 is 49/24 Mean of data set 5 is 2
Code #3 : TypeError
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/9f8a941703745a24ddce5b5f6f211e6f.py", line 29, in print(mean(dic)) File "/usr/lib/python3.5/statistics.py", line 331, in mean T, total, count = _sum(data) File "/usr/lib/python3.5/statistics.py", line 161, in _sum for n, d in map(_exact_ratio, values): File "/usr/lib/python3.5/statistics.py", line 247, in _exact_ratio raise TypeError(msg.format(type(x).__name__)) TypeError: can't convert type 'str' to numerator/denominator
Mean/Arithmetic average is one of the very important function, while working with statistics and large values. So, with the function like mean(), trending and featured values can be extracted from the large data sets.
- Python statistics | mode function
- Python - Power-Function Distribution in Statistics
- Python statistics | variance()
- Python statistics | median()
- Python statistics | pvariance()
- Python statistics | median_grouped()
- Python statistics | stdev()
- Python statistics | median_high()
- Python statistics | median_low()
- Python statistics | harmonic_mean()
- Python - Von Mises Distribution in Statistics
- Python - Laplace Distribution in Statistics
- Python - Wald Distribution in Statistics
- Python - Levy Distribution in Statistics
- Python - Boltzmann Distribution in Statistics
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.